Issues with imported video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fishman94, Apr 23, 2008.

1. fishman94 macrumors newbie

I am trying to import video from my dvc (canon eulura 100) tapes into iMovie. The import goes fine and the controls work to control the camera via I1394. While importing, there is no audio (I have never used iMovie to import before so I'm not sure if there should be. However, after the import had finished, I tried playing back the clip, but iMovie had compressed 90 min into 1min 6 sec and I cannot understand why this happened. I attempted to redo the import and the same thing happened. I have also tried the import on other mac's and the same problem. I attempted to even use a windows computer and the same problems were occurring.
    Is there some explanation for what is going on? Any help is much appreciated.
    -Arthur

2. seany916 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but I don't work with iMovie so take anything I offer with a grain of salt.

I don't know about iMovie, but Final Cut has not audio when importing either.

Try importing again in a new project.

Try resetting all the settings back to default (or trash preferences).

Try it on somebody else's computer (like the Apple store).

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not sure about the audio thing. What version of iMovie are you using?

Also, it's difficult to understand what you mean by "compressed 90 min into 1min 6 sec". Did the import take 90 minutes?

Perhaps there is something wrong with the tape. I typically record at SP (60 minutes) but I don't think that would be an issue. I suspect that something is wrong with the tape. Can you check a different tape to see if you still have the problems? Maybe use a new tape set at SP.

Keep us posted.

ft

4. fishman94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Issues with Imported video

What I mean by the compression: It took it 90 min to record from the camera into the computer. However, when I play it back (and look at the movie file's total time it claims to have 1min 6 sec of video. The file for the movie is only a couple hundred MB in size and, when played, goes by super fast even when set to play as slow as possible. I have made sure all the settings are to default as well, and the same thing happens. I have tried it on numerous computers, as well.

Arthur

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

90 minutes of footage should be around 19 GB, not a couple hundred MB. 1 minute worth of footage would clock in around 220 MB, so that sounds right.

One of two things here.

1. Your tape and/or camcorder is screwed up.

2. There's some wacky function (or error) that is importing 1 out of every 90 frame, so that you end up with a minute of footage.

Since it's happening on multiple computers (and even a Windows machine), I'd say the problem is the tape or camcorder. I'd suggest trying a new tape.

ft