Issues with installing OWC hard drive double

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbluhp, Jul 3, 2013.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

I purchased a kit that replaced the disk drive and since then I have 2 small problems but the mac is working perfect no problems yet (been 3 days). The power button is loose I don't know what I did. Also the red cord that you disconnect I cant seem to reconnect the cord it won't reattach (it suppose to go near the fan)

see this pictures and video

I also have no start up sound no more.

How do I fix all of this? I contacted OWC but they don't do tech support for apple and if I do goto apple they will refuse service since I void my warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJod3Z6zkck

Attached Files:

2. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

more pictures

Attached Files:

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

For the 4-pin connector that won't "reconnect", you broke the solder joints. Not sure how you managed to do that, the connector slides out sideways, but it looks like you tried to "pop" it up and that's what broke it. You'll have to carefully solder it back on or have someone do it for you.

As for the loose power button, you've got me there. No idea how you did that either.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea, Im with you... Im confused as can be.

I suggest next time watch more video tutorials and be more patient or have someone else do it for you.

The power button has me way confused though.

5. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you solder it back on?

I emailed another OWC techie and they said same stuff as what was told to me on her but they recommend that I get pro repair ouch costly but maybe I not since the machine works and stuff. What is the red cord for anyhow?

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

If you have to ask then it's best to pay someone to fix it for you.

It looks like it might be for one of the fans. I'd suggest downloading and running SMC Fan Control and see if both fans are reporting speed (Left and right should be around 2000RPM each unless you're doing something CPU/GPU intensive, in which case they'll be higher). If one fan isn't reporting anything then you're running on one fan and that could lead to overheating or parts failure if you don't get it fixed.

7. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I only see one fan and it reports as 176F and 5637RPM

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Yup, sounds like you broke the fan connector. Better get that fixed asap so that it doesn't overheat. There are two fans, when you click the menu icon it'll show both but on the menu icon itself it only shows one speed so I'd make sure you're really only seeing one fan.