Issues with Installing Windows 8.1 on my MBP Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SenileTomato, Apr 19, 2014.

1. SenileTomato macrumors member

So I just tried installing Windows 8.1 on my new MBP Retina 15 inch....I have done it before without any issues, but for whatever reason, this time it didn't work.

I used Boot Camp Assistant in order to download the necessary files to have Windows work properly on the MBP, as well as partitioned the drive for installation. After this, my laptop restarted and nothing happened, so I restarted again and pressed the alt/option key in order to boot from the windows disc that I had connected via a external USB DVD drive.

From here, I go to the partition I had chose for Windows, which was roughly 140GB in size. I try and choose the "Next" option in order to begin the install, but it tells me it cannot complete the action because something about the partition being GPI or something of the sort. I try choosing the format option, and still nothing.

Any suggestions? FYI, this is a 4th Generation MBP Retina 15 inch. Thanks guys!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try removing the partition via Bootcamp Assistant and starting over.

3. SenileTomato thread starter macrumors member

Tried this already, unfortunately didn't change anything :(

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

There's an issue with the Windows 8.1 installer that makes it extremely difficult to install it directly. I wound up just installing Windows 7 via Boot camp and upgraded it to Windows 8.1. I tried some of the workarounds listed on these forums and other sites first, none of them worked at all for me. There's no difference in how Windows 8.1 works once installed, its just how it sees its boot configuration that changes.

5. Dubberton macrumors regular

If you start over try erasing the bootcamp partition through the bootcamp manager. Then go into disk utility and do all the repair and verify disk permissions if you haven't given that a go. That actually got me out of a bootcamp problem a while back. For now though I'm done with bootcamp. Last time, about 2 weeks ago, I had to do a complete reinstall to get the partition space back after I deleted it lol. I'll build a pc if I need a dedicated windows machine