Issues with iOS 7 on 5s: Any Suggestions?!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by binaryskies, Oct 13, 2013.

1. binaryskies macrumors regular

binaryskies

Ever since I got my 5s on launch day I've had issues with iOS 7. I had it on my 5 for the beta program and had almost none of the issues I am having now, if they did come up..it was rare.

Issues:
    Overall slowness (mainly springboard, settings app and phone app)
    App crashes (Settings will crash usually every other day, Mail and Contacts probably once a week)
    App downloads disappearing until the phone is restarted (really annoying)
    Phone freezes when unlocking, both with pin and TouchID (has happened about four or five times in two weeks)

I've tried everything I can think of to solve these issues. Erase all content and settings then set up as a new phone. DFU it and set up as a new phone. Even powering it off for a few minutes each night. Which brings me to my question..

Is anyone else having these issues or similar ones? If so, have you had any luck solving them?

Thanks in advance!

Binaryskies

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Is it on the latest firmware, 7.0.2.? If you're continuing to have issues even after troubleshooting you should take it back and exchange.

3. digitalfailure macrumors regular

Loads of people suffering with the same thing on here, changing the phone doesn't appear to help, so it's likely that it's within ios7

join the que and wait for an update to ios7 :(

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have two iPhone 5S in my home and neither has any issues.

I recommend you back up your content, then do a clean restore to 7.0.2, chose set up as new, and DO NOT restore to backup.

Then use the tabs in iTunes to restore your content - contacts, music, movies, books, photos.

Takes longer but you will see a big difference.

5. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

6. binaryskies thread starter macrumors regular

binaryskies

Sadly, I tried that at the Apple Store a few days ago. At first, it was acting like nothing was wrong, but later that night apps started to crash and the entire springboard was acting sluggish / abnormal again. I put it into DFU mode and installed a fresh copy of 7.0.2 from the server at the store. I didn't even plug it into my computer at home, I just turned in iCloud to get my contacts back.

7. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Probably:
    • secure
    • sensor
    • speed
    • Siri
    • some new stuff

Fits the iPhone 5s, but won't be Apple's idea:
    • seamlessly working together with the OS, other than Android
    • super-awesome
    • sleek and thin
    • sorry, it's still as expensive and most people can't afford it

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Please stay on topic folks.

OP: If you want to try a few more things, I'd start looking at the apps themselves to see if any are causing these issues. It's a longshot but if you haven't done this already: Restore as a new phone and don't install any apps and don't restore. Can you reproduce the issue with iOS 7 only? If not start installing apps a few at a time until the symptoms return. It's kind of a pain if you don't like doing this kind of stuff.

Conversely you can go back to Apple and let them know it didn't work. I don't know if they will take a look at the diagnostic logs but the phone is tracking the crashes.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You must be lucky then. My 5S kept randomly rebooting even after a restore and setting up as new. Waiting on my replacement and I hope it's not the same.

10. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

This might sound a little crazy, but I was finding I was having odd slowness, touch-ID not working, touch-screen not working, etc. with my 5s. After much experimenting, I found it was somehow related to the third-party charger I had the phone plugged into. I got no warning about it being "uncertified", but when I switched to the Apple charger and an MFi Amazon lightning cable, all the problems disappeared. I had no problems with charger on my iPhone 4.

Do you notice improvement when unplugged?

11. binaryskies thread starter macrumors regular

binaryskies

I was able to run diagnostics on my phone during the day today and everything looked normal until I saw the section about Memory Issues (7 in total). I think I may go ahead and try that idea about not installing apps. It's frustrating but I'm determined to find a solution. Most of the apps associated with the memory issues were iOS stock apps (iPod, Safari, blackboard (I forget the extract name..it's been a long day), and mail) so it's worth a shot

----------

I haven't used a third party cord or adapter with my 5s, but I did with my 5. I actually used one for about three weeks and saw a HUGE decrease in battery life and increase in phone temperature when charging it and using it. Also, during the time I used the third party adapter I noticed the health of my battery dropped to around 75% in the diagnostics. After switching back to the cord and charger block that comes in the box for a day (full night charge too) the health went up to 85%, the battery lasted about two to four hours longer depending on usage and the temperature cooled a lot (both charging and during usage).

When I think about it though, it seems like it gets a little better when it's plugged into the wall outlet using the accessories that came with it. I'll keep a closer eye on it now though. Thanks for the input.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, very frustrating. Please post the solution when you find one. In situations like this my stubbornness to prove the experts wrong kicks in and eventually I resolve the issue.

13. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I've had some random restarts, but no freezing or apps disappearing or slowness on my Verizon 5S.

14. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

For these issues, try and reproduce them with console logs and attach them to a bug report. Clear the console before it happens so you can narrow it down.

Crash reports should automatically be sent to Apple. However, you can also attach them to a manually-filed bug report to make double-sure Apple is aware of it and how much it affects you.

You can access both the device console and crash reports via the Xcode organiser (you mentioned you were running the beta).

15. binaryskies thread starter macrumors regular

binaryskies

Doing this never dawned on me. I was thinking solely inside the box. I knew I could count on the MR Forums for input from both angles. Thank you! Hopefully I'll have some information worth updating tomorrow after work.

----------

I share your frustration! Don't worry, I will post anything that helps and hopefully leads to something.