Issues with iPhone - But only after restoring with a backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gold///, Oct 31, 2018.

1. gold/// macrumors regular

gold///

Long story short, I picked up a XS last week, and I've been having some really weird issues with it:

-iMessage wouldn't activate for a long time
    -iMessages take forever to send
    -Certain apps hang when opened for 5-10 seconds
    -Certain apps crash when I re-open them from the app switcher
    -My Apple Watch wouldn't connect, had to set it up as new

The weird thing is, these issues ONLY happen if I restore from my previous backup. I tested it by resetting the XS and just setting it up as new, it was completely fine.

Is there any reason that restoring from a backup would cause these issues? I've done this every time I've gotten a new iPhone and never had this problem before. Do I really need to start fresh with the XS, or is there another way? I have so much data that would take forever to transfer over without a backup restore.

2. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

Restoring a backup restores iTunes settings, and some iOS bugs will be transfered with the backup. Trouble is that restoring settings and accounts is mandatory due to Apple design, so even third-party iTunes alternatives won't help in this case. Unfortuantely, the only solution will be syncing all possible data with iCloud > reset to factory > resync data without restoring a backup.

There is a workaround for apps data with iMazing, so it should make the process less painful. Check this guide. Fully supported in free version, so no need for a license.

3. gold/// thread starter macrumors regular

gold///

You're a lifesaver dude, thank you for recommending this. The main reason I didn't want to do a fresh set-up was that I'd lose my app data. If this can preserve all of that, then I don't mind starting fresh at all.

4. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

Sorry for the delay, quite a few things happened... Regarding the guide - you're welcome :) Just keep in mind that app devs decide what to include in app's backup, so better save most important data before the restore just in case.