Issues with iPhoto '09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chambiador, Feb 6, 2011.

1. chambiador macrumors newbie

I recently did a fresh install of Snow Leopard on our MBP, and reinstalled the applications from the supplied disk. Then, using Migration Assistant, I moved all my files, apps, etc from my Mac Mini also running Snow Leopard to the MBP. All went well and works fine except iPhoto on my wife's MBP account. When I log into my account on the MBP my iPhoto works fine, but when I tried to import our pictures into her account on the second import, I got a message up saying 'iPhoto is either in use by another computer or files are corrupted', and it required that I quit the program. This occurred several times. I then opened iPhoto again from her account, holding down the 'option/command' keys and did the maintenance suggested to rebuild the library, didn't work, same results. The iPhoto in my account on the MBP was shut down, and I had logged out correctly, what possibly could be causing this glitch? Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hold down the option key when launching iPhoto. It should show any and all iPhoto libraries on the computer, as well as the path below. Where is the library its trying to open?

3. chambiador thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, holding down the option key when opening iPhoto, while in her account on the MBP shows one iPhoto Library, which when opened is hers only, no others. It has only the few pictures I was able to import yesterday. But if this clue is of any help, seconds after opening iPhoto I got the initial 'welcome to iPhoto' screen up, which of course should not happen after my using and importing to the program yesterday.
    Thanks

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Which rebuild options did you choose while holding option and command? Hopefully not all of them. You should only have chosen the database and file permissions one. If you still have issues, you may need to take the next step, known as a manual rebuild, instructions for which can be found here.

5. chambiador thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, I printed the instructions included in your response and gave them a careful try this morning, but immediate failure was the result. As soon as I inserted the DVD trying to import new pictures, the same flag appeared indicating 'iPhoto either in use by another or files are unreadable'. Wondering, as a last ditch effort before simply going to Picasa for her photo use, if perhaps I shouldn't try deleting the entire iPhoto application, including plists and caches, and trying to reinstall it from the Applications Install disk that came with my daughter's new MBP? Hard to imagine why a fresh install of Snow Leopard and installing applications from the supplied disk doesn't work here. Could the disk itself have a glitch built in? Could it be issues with the DVD's I'm trying to import? I burned them from my iPhoto in my Mac Mini, though it also runs Snow Leopard and is a late model. Thanks for your help here, though I may be defeated in this effort.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Okay, this is interesting...does iPhoto work fine without the disc you're trying to import? That is, if you don't have the DVD inserted, and you just launch iPhoto, what happens? Any error? If not, please clarify how you burned the DVDs from your old Mac.

I don't think a reinstall of iPhoto is going to be the answer because you said iPhoto works in all accounts but your wife's.

7. chambiador thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, iPhoto on her MBP seems to work fine except when trying to import photos from these DVDs...And like you apparently, I'm strongly suspecting I'm 'introducing' something that's causing this problem. My iPhoto on my Mac Mini has always worked well, and the DVDs were all burned from it, to import later to whatever computer needed them. The Mac Mini is a dual core Intel, running Snow Leopard, as is the MBP. It'd be great to hear how these DVDs might be causing this issue, and, of course, some work-around to burning them on this Mac Mini. My ten year experience with Apple products leads me to believe that whatever goes wrong can be fixed simply and quickly, again leading me toward 'what I'm introducing' as somehow being the culprit. Many Thanks for staying with this frustrating problem.

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Okay, if you used the Share->Burn feature on your old Mac, don't use that. Instead, export the pictures from your library to a folder on the Desktop on your Mac mini, and then burn that folder in Finder, using the command from the File menu. If you want to keep the same event organization on the MacBook Pro, export each event to its own folder. Then take the burned disc, put that into the Mac mini, and import each folder one at a time into iPhoto. This should bypass any issue with importing the pictures from disc.

9. chambiador thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo! An excellent fix recommendation, and I've now imported all pictures to her MBP using this method. This fix really should be on a 'sticky' somewhere here because I couldn't possibly be the only user having this issue with iPhoto, and none of the standard Apple fixes had any positive effect. Many thanks and Happy Computing!

10. nanat94 macrumors newbie

can't export photos to a desktop folder

I am trying to export photos for burning a disk for window users. I have followed the instructions in iPhoto for exporting to a folder, then from finder burning the disk. It WILL NOT export the event (120 photos) to any folder I name. What am I missing? arrggg.

11. JediMeister macrumors 68040

This really should have been a new thread.

Can you export another event? Maybe 1-2 images from the event? Can you open the images full-size or do you get an exclamation point on a black background instead? If yes to the last, this means that the link to the original files is broken or damaged somehow. This could have been due to the original files having been renamed or altered somehow to the point that iPhoto does not know where to find them anymore.

12. nanat94 macrumors newbie

can't export photos to a desktop folder

(apologies about the thread..new at this!):confused:

The "exclamation comment" helped me understand about another event issue not involved here.

Still no luck. However for anyone having the same trouble, I was finally able to go beyond the instructions and just copy photos to a desktop file, then burned disk from there. The Apple instructions just simply didn't work in this instance. THANK YOU for response.