Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
once again antoher dumb question, what is my shortusername? Is it the name that shows when I turn on my computer prior to logging in? I would then assume that the password I use to log into my computer would be the password I would use here?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
your 'shortusername' is the name that appears on your home directory in /Users. Or, if you open Terminal, the prompt will likely have your short username as well.

Code:
Last login: Thu Dec  9 16:40:01 on ttys000
null:~ [B][COLOR="Red"]yellow[/COLOR][/B]$

And yes.. the same password.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
so I got to the point where it prompts me to type in my password. When I do the screen does not show that I am typing anything at all. I still entered it and hit the enter button but all it did was take me to line the below it. Nothing else

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
yup, just tried, same thing. I think it might be time to make a trip to the apple store. So frusturating. Thanks for all the help though. Very much appreciated. And if you can think of anything else just let me know.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
yup, just tried, same thing. I think it might be time to make a trip to the apple store. So frusturating. Thanks for all the help though. Very much appreciated. And if you can think of anything else just let me know.

As Yellow has surmised, it sounds like a problem with permissions,when I did the exact same thing after I messed up my photos, it just restored over it, no problems.

If you have another admin account you can see what the permissions on the library are and then maybe change them to what they should be.

For me, and I've done nothing with permissions on teh library, they are read and write for; everyone, staff, and myusername.

In fact, perhaps thats a good place to start, post what yours are.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
As Yellow has surmised, it sounds like a problem with permissions,when I did the exact same thing after I messed up my photos, it just restored over it, no problems.

If you have another admin account you can see what the permissions on the library are and then maybe change them to what they should be.

For me, and I've done nothing with permissions on teh library, they are read and write for; everyone, staff, and myusername.

In fact, perhaps thats a good place to start, post what yours are.

Went into my user name, choose pictures, right clicked to get iPhoto Library Info and under Sharing & Permissions it says the following:
You have custom access
Name: Privilege:
my username Read & Write
everyone No Access

When I go into Applications folder and right click on iPhoto and click on get Iphoto Info I do get something different however, not sure if it means anything. This is what I get:
Sharing & Permissions:
You have custom access
system Read & Write
admin Read & Write
everyone Read only

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Went into my user name, choose pictures, right clicked to get iPhoto Library Info and under Sharing & Permissions it says the following:
You have custom access
my username Read & Write
everyone No Access

That sounds pretty weird to me, if you ahve read and WRITE access to the library why is TM telling you don't have permission to write over it?

I agree, sounds as if a visit to the genius bar is needed.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
so I got to the point where it prompts me to type in my password. When I do the screen does not show that I am typing anything at all. I still entered it and hit the enter button but all it did was take me to line the below it. Nothing else

That's normal. Part of sudo is authentication as if one was root, and to hide the length of your password, there is no output to the screen. The fact that the prompt returned means that it completed.

While those permissions don't look bad to me, you can always change them with:

suod chmod -R ugo+wrX /Users/shortusername/Pictures/

This will change the permissions for the (u)ser, (g)roup, and (o)thers to be able to (w)rite, (r)ead, and e(X)ecute [traverse] directories. Note, the capital X is an important distinction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.