issues with jailbroken iphone 4 running tethered ios5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amanda77, Nov 29, 2011.

1. amanda77 macrumors newbie

First I want to say hello.I really enjoy reading this forum so I decided to join.It's actually kind of a funny story as to why I started jailbreaking.A girl at work had a bunch of pink icons on her phone.I wanted mine to have a purple theme.So I jailbroke my 3GS last year.

I basically don't stay up to date with the different software versions.I only use cydia for the custom themes and five icon dock.So last month a friend offered to sell me his iphone 4 running ios5 for $200.I decided to do that and wait for the next iphone to upgrade.

I installed cydia on it within hrs of getting it.Everything was fine until I had to turn my phone off for something.Then I find out that it's a tethered jailbreak.No big deal.I'll just mute my phone in situations where phones should be turned off.

Well the other day the sms app wouldn't open on my phone.Then nothing else would open.It would make calls and that's it.So I got home and rebooted using iBooty.Everything was fine again.

Then today the screen just randomly went black with the little circle spinning like it does when it turns on or off.So I rebooted again and everything is ok now.

I was just wondering if I should do a restore at this point or just see what happens next.Thanks for the help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be something installed from cydia that's causing it to crash like that.
    Did you install anything new latelly and if you remember started having issues after that?
    A tethered JB is kinda of a pain and having to reboot tethered when away from a computer is tough. You can be stuck with a non-usable phone for a while.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

My recommendation is to install semi tether package from the big boss. The name of the package speaks for itself. In case of you need to reboot the phone away from your computer, it will reboot and allow you to use most of the basic function of the iphone until you get a chance to tethered boot with redsn0w.

4. amanda77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for the help.I do have semi tether installed.I decided to remove sms tool to see if that was causing the problem.Now the springboard keeps crashing and it's in safe mode.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you have all the back up in Itunes, then my recommendation is to restore it to 5.0.1 (since this fw is Apple currently signing), then back up your info to the phone, jailbreak with redsn0w as well as install semi tether once you are done.