Issues with Key Chain / Passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phatman007, Jan 30, 2010.

1. phatman007 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I hope this is in the right section?

I have a small issue with my Key Chain, I keep getting asked for my password for Mail and Aosnotifyd. I input it and normal service resumes, but 10 minutes later I am asked again... Very annoying!

Can anyone suggest a fix for this please?
    :confused:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Open Keychain Access. Highlight the login item under the Keychain pane. Go to menu item Edit > Change Settings for Keychain "login" and from there you'll see a setting for timeout.

3. phatman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jtara macrumors 65816

That's not really a fix. That's just disabling the timeout, which is there for a reason - security. This "fix" is just disabling the enhanced security of requiring a password after the system has been idle for some period.

The problem is that aosnotifyd and mobilemesyncclient are both requiring a password after the system wakes up from sleep, or after the system times-out.

But you're ALREADY entering the password to unlock the screen. Why do I have to enter it again for aosnotifyd, and yet again for mobilemesyncclient?

This is annoying enough for me to just abandon MobileMe. I didn't like it the first time I tried it, and I like it even less now. I caved-in and got it because I ordered an iPad, and I wanted my contacts synced over the air. I didn't want to have to constantly sync both my iPhone and iPad by USB just to keep contacts and calendars up to date.

It's not worth the hassle.

5. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

to fix your keychain issue do this.

From "Macintosh HD" via finder.

Users>"User Name">Library>Keychains

in the Keychains folder there will be a file "login.keychain" Command+I (Get Info) rename it to "login.keychain.old" (it'll prompt you to keep .old or .keychain..... keep .old)

Launch Safari. It'll will prompt you to Reset to defaults. Issue resolved once you type in your password and you will never see that annoying thing again.

Good Luck.

6. pjkinann macrumors newbie

Having this same problem -- but mine says SYSTEM

I followed these instructions, but I don't have a login.keychain, but instead have a System,keychain, and a System,keychain-orig.

I keep getting this annoying message ALL DAY. Has nothing to do with Ms. Mac just waking up. It's just an all day everyday occurrence.

I have never added my passwords to the keychain, and I also do not have a password to log on to my computer, because I'm the only one who uses it.

So how do I get rid of this ANNOYING message?