Issues with Lightroom 5 and 8GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JarScott, Jan 2, 2014.

1. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I got my refurbished entry level 2012 15" rMBP in June and I've loved it so far, it's so powerful and the screen is amazing. However, I consider myself a hobbiest photographer and so use Lightroom 5 to process all of my photographs. I've been doing some heavy editing recently in Lightroom and started to notice my laptop slowing down. It mainly shows, for anyone familiar with Lightroom, when I do local adjustments on images. I can paint over an area and it take 2-3 seconds to catch up and re-render the image. Then sometimes when I'm just scrolling through images, photos will render as a mass of massive, pixelated squares which aren't fixed until I force the photo to re-render but zooming into it e.t.c.

I presumed the issue was related to RAM as I only have 8GB so I installed a RAM cleaner which has a built in monitor. Whilst using Lighroom and doing these sort of tasks, my available RAM drops to between 2GB and 1GB, occasionally dropping below 1000mb. I presume this means you don't have to run out of RAM entirely for your computer to start struggling - presumably because it can't request enough RAM.

I'm turning to MacRumors for confirmation that this is a RAM issue, which I obviously can't physically do anything about with a rMBP but if there's something I can do to alleviate the issues I'm having.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It's a tough call since I don't know what the so called supposed ram cleaner is reporting. A screenshot of the Window Cleaners information when you're having slowdowns would help get you a useful answer.

3. JarScott thread starter macrumors 68040

JarScott

It's quite a basic free Mac app called Memory Clean. It gives you a bar chart which shows Active, wired, inactive and free memory in numerical values. It also puts your available memory value in the menu bar so you can see it when you're in apps.

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I wouldn't want any app "cleaning" my ram..

It still may be Lr, and available memory - the only other thing I can think of are the usual SMC/PRAM resets, but without investigating further that's just throwing ideas into the dark.

But I'd think that the delay with spot fixes shouldn't be normal.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Well without seeing the output, I have no clue what it means by "available" memory - is it just free memory or free + inactive? If it's the latter then your system may be slowing down while it frees up the inactive memory.

6. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

+1

OP: ditch the memory app then troubleshoot.

7. JarScott thread starter macrumors 68040

JarScott

I only got the app for the memory monitoring side of it. Just so I could actually see how much RAM I was eating in real time. What would you recommend for trouble shooting?

----------

It labels available memory as 'free memory', so I'm guessing that doesn't include inactive memory.

----------

There's no unusual delay with spot fixes, I'm talking about when you paint over an area of the picture and it applies certain adjustments purely to that part of the image.

8. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Understood - I meant local adjustments (with brush).

Take a look at this.

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

10. JarScott thread starter macrumors 68040

JarScott

I have Camera Raw cache set above 10GB so that shouldn't be causing an issue. I've also never had XMP writing on. I think this is purely a RAM issue and a sign that I run out of RAM easily and Lightroom cannot request as much as it'd like to. This is fine, but since I'm not in a position to buy a new laptop anytime soon it's something I'll have to live with and remember next time I'm in the computer market.