Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I was cleaning the phone today and noticed 3 small smudges that i thought would come off when i cleaned it more. I cleaned it a few times with some tv spray cleaner and it seems like they are still there. Not sure what else to use as far as cleaning for the finish but they might be permanent. They look like small smudges and I've been case less for a few weeks now.
Anybody else notice these or ways to get rid of them if they really are just deep smudges (whatever that means).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Once aluminum is smudged, scratched or nicked, it's permanent. When I first owned my iPhone 6 years ago, it came With a smudge near the iPhone logo. Apple only offered me a replacement device.

If you haven't, try a microfiber cloth. That would be the only likely option to remove it without further making it worse. I wouldn't use any chemical cleaners.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
When I took my 7+ black off from my silicone case to wipe off, I noticed a small little blemish that's a few inches above the apple logo. It isn't noticeable nor obvious, but with a close look you can see a small imperfection on the finish. At first I thought it was dust or a small smudge, but nope. It's there permanently.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I understand I'll get a new one in a year or two but I resell mine. My 6+ I had case less for 2 years didn't show this. The color was a lot lighter though so maybe it had it who knows. I never drop my phones I wouldn't think afte 2 weeks there would be paint starting to erase basically

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
I understand I'll get a new one in a year or two but I resell mine. My 6+ I had case less for 2 years didn't show this. The color was a lot lighter though so maybe it had it who knows. I never drop my phones I wouldn't think afte 2 weeks there would be paint starting to erase basically

Well to put you out of your misery, I'll offer $300 today. That way you won't have to go through the next year with anxiety.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
7 plus matte black here. I have about 6 or 7 nicks in the back of it. Phones usually in a case. Not treated badly. Didn't have this issue with my 6s plus or my 6 plus. Seems to scratch/nick easily.

With the above said, it's also important to notice, that in my opinion, I'm not worried about it. Sure the finish should be stronger, but like stated above, it's just a phone. I'll be getting a new one when it's released anyways.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Some pics.the culprit looks to be this phone holder I've had in my car for years. Previously used case less on my space gray without issues but seems like plastic, which should be a softener hardness level than this anodized finished, can scratch these phones.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    748.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    896.6 KB · Views: 282

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
my iPhone 6+ was never in a case and never had problems. Just stating that the finish on the black is much more fragile than previously. Same phone holder. plastic can scratch the new finish. Not the old one... now saying this is to accepted like previously i don't really think it should be accepted as the space gray finish never had issues of 2 whole years of being put into this holder the same way. 2 weeks in the same holder and causes this. So yes the finish on the new Black is fragile.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Some pics.the culprit looks to be this phone holder I've had in my car for years. Previously used case less on my space gray without issues but seems like plastic, which should be a softener hardness level than this anodized finished, can scratch these phones.

It makes sense with the car holder. And being the way I am as a perfectionist, those would smudges would annoy me greatly. I don't typically use a case, but in the event in my car holder, I do. Nice looking Phone though.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
It makes sense with the car holder. And being the way I am as a perfectionist, those would smudges would annoy me greatly. I don't typically use a case, but in the event in my car holder, I do. Nice looking Phone though.
I assumed it would be like the space gray finish and not show anything. Not from plastic. Maybe keys but not something that is softer like this. I should of never assumed such with Apple and their track record with finishes. Added some little felt pads to the holder now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.