Issues with MBP Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmdeegan, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jmdeegan macrumors member

Here's one I had not seen before....

I finally had the chance to grab the correct Torx head, so I got to start the upgrade this morning. I took the stock drive out, no issues.

I used the torx to take the 4 ball head screws off the drive. First three, smooth and easy. The 4th, the torx driver spun freely in it. No grip, nothing. Either stripped on original install, or they used the same ball head but a different torx or other size. without a magnifying glass, im inclined to say stripped.

So, first things first, I managed to get it out using needle nose pliers. Not ideal, but it worked. Then I called the 5th Avenue Apple Store, figuring as small as these are, they gotta have some spares, right? Well, over the phone they thought they might, but to bring the screw in and they'd know for sure. Not getting too excited....
    Got to the store, and got 2 answers. One, no they did not have the screws. 2, no way did those screws come off of a late 08 Mac Book Pro. WTF?!?! Where else would I have come up with those screws? They are completely non standard in the notebook world. How could a genius say "nope, those aren't from that computer". baffles me

To make matters worse, in addition to the Apple Store not having the part, neither do 2 big apple support sites in NYC, and neither did Apple Care when I called them over the phone. And the phone support are the ones telling me to call the AASP to find the part. I'm sorry....I thought this was a product under warranty??

Yea, I know, it's "just a screw". But when you have to screw in a screw using...needle nose pliers....and the you can't even get the flipping manufacturer to ship you a replacement screw....and their support staff tellls you nope, thats not a MBP screw.....

this shoulda been an easy swap....

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would just put it back in with needle nose pliers, but I hear what you are saying.

Did you ask to see the part that you are describing at the apple store? Just ask them if they have the screws for the HD sled and see what they bring out. Just because the apple "genius" says it isn't so doesn't make him right.

Probably fine with 3, but I know what you mean by the lack of support and how a small problem has escalated.

Sometimes apple has the oddest policys. I had to make an appointment to have my headphones replaced for my iphone. No meeting until the next day as all the geniuses were busy. However all the regular people on the floor were standing around. Just annoying how they couldn't do something simple. For a computer I understand, but for headphones?

3. PLin macrumors 6502

Any Apple Authorized Service Provider should be able to order replacement screws for you with the correct part number, which is 922-8655. The late-2008 MacBook uses the same screws for mounting the hard drive. I found one online reseller that carries them, but they're not cheap (5 for $20).

http://www.welovemacs.com/9228655.html

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I the guy was being an ass about it I would call them out. Get them to open one of the display machines and prove them wrong.