Issues with MBP - Worth taking it to Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vnle, Jul 13, 2010.

1. vnle macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

I received a new MBP earlier this year (the specs are in the signature) and I've noticed some issues recently :mad:

1. The display is not centered on the screen (slightly to the upper left corner). I've researched this issue on MR and it seems that it's an accepted issue that Apple won't do anything about unless you get really lucky and get a Genius on a good day.

2. When I close my MBP, the left side of the lid is not flush against the lower body while the right side is. So if I were to press down the lid on the left side it would bounce up and down, moving the right side with it. Apparently, this is also normal after some research ... 50/50 chance that they'll replace it.

3. I'm not sure if it's because of the certain notes in my songs or the speakers but my left speakers has some distortion/static to it when the volume is up more then 40% while the right speakers seem to be fine. However, whenever I'm using Hulu or youtube - turning it on max, I hear no distortion so it might just be some songs I play. I'm not sure if this is normal as I don't know anything about speakers. :confused:

I know from the other threads that sometimes these issues are accepted as normal and common but a combination of these issues? :eek: I'm wondering if it's worth it to take my MBP to Apple for them to fix. As others have stated, sometimes they replace it with a new one where the issues remain or they'll fix it at the store but no improvement can be seen or they just won't do anything about it.

Another note, I have OCD so I value the cleanliness of my MBP and it not being damaged in any way. I know that sooner or later it'll be damaged from use but I'm trying to delay that as much as possible - that being said, is it worth it to take to Apple? I think the only thing stopping me is the prospect of them not caring about those issues and that they might harm my MBP in various ways. :eek:

Sooo ... what do you guys think? Does anyone have experience in this matter? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. atrac7 macrumors regular

I think it should be expected that you'd get one or maybe 2 of the "usual" culprits that are due to manufacturing processes.

However, you seem to have gotten most of them, which to me as a consumer is not something I'd expect. Sure Apple might turn you away if you bring up one issue about the screen being off, but all of yours add up to a rather unpleasant package.

I'd take it in. Make a list of the issues and hammer away that you feel you got the unlucky draw of the straw and feel that a "pro level" computer like the MBP should not have that many issues from the manufacturer.

3. MrCooperS macrumors member

Same here. I have a pretty new MacBook Pro, half a month at the most. The lid doesn't sit flush when closed. The display is not on the center but a bit towards the top left of the screen. And the lid hinge makes creaking/noises every now and then. Don't know if it's worth bringing in to Apple.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Take it in. It can't hurt to try? You might get lucky.

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Wow... a screen not centered or a lid not closing properly is considered normal?!

That would piss me off if an apple rep told me that. I don't consider myself super nitpicky but I don't consider those small issues either and definitely not ones that are easily ignorable.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would take it in for sure. The speaker issues does sound like a bad speaker. People have had varied luck with the other issues. However I personally believe that one should never settle. So if the product is now how it is supposed to be, take it in.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

These are high end machines and these little things should not be tolerated, especially when you have several. One is a slight annoyance but three is a disappointment. I would bring it in and make the argument above - I paid a lot for a high end machine that has this, that and the other thing going bad. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

8. mainomega macrumors 6502

Seriously ?

Keep your MBPro and have fun.

Seriously

9. ibis99 macrumors regular

Really?

Get second rate production/quality control for your $1800-$2100 Mac?

I dont think so.

10. elleana macrumors regular

Well, assuming you have an apple store near you, all it takes is a trip down. Can't hurt, at worst they'll say 'Oh there's nothing wrong with it'.

11. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought I should as well and I've called them and reported it so they probably have it on file but the guy over the phone pretty said, "really? That's first time I've heard of such issues." So I really don't know - also, the fact that I've heard so much horror stories about how they handle your mac really scares the crap outta me.

I suppose it can't hurt ... unless I get it back damaged :mad:

That's what I thought but then when I researched these issues on MRoogle, that seems to be their response :mad:

I do think so as well but I'm really not sure because the distortion doesn't come on when I watch movies or shows on Hulu so might it just be the type of songs I play? :confused:

I agree.

I definitely know how you feel - it's killing me. :mad: Mine is about 3 months old ... though, your creaking has gotta be much annoying then my issues :(

I have an Apple store about 5 minutes from my house and another one probably 10/15 minutes away. The thing is, the closest one seems to have geniuses that are not so ... bright. My friend took hers in took get her display fix because of lines popping up (after having her display replaced by the same Apple store a few weeks prior) and the genius basically ignored that the display was new and told her that they can't do anything about it. Also, they didn't seem to know how to find a preference file in the library and delete it. She might have just gotten really bad geniuses that day but ...

Have you had any of these issues or any other ones?

12. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh and another thing is, mine's a couple months old so they could possibly say that it's wearing from use - is this possible? :confused:

Also, mine is C2D so they probably won't give me one of the new i5/i7 ... how would they possibly go into the display and aligned it without opening up the whole thing? :eek:

Thank you so much guys! Your replies are all very prompt and helpful ... sorry that my reply is kinda late ...:eek:

13. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Your issues are definitely worth an attempt to get fixed, though I don't think #3 is an actual issue since you only hear distortion in specific situations.

I wouldn't worry about them turning you away, issue #2 is the only possible thing they could try to attribute to abuse and wear, it'd be very difficult to do the same with your other problems. Also I've experienced #2 before and have gotten them to repair it.

I really don't think they'll give you a new computer, it just wouldn't make any sense given what you're experiencing, and also because all your problems are fixable. With the screen, there just isn't any way to attempt a repair without opening it up. They'll either replace it or try to adjust the hinges.

Lastly, if a genius won't repair it, I'd try looking into a good, reputable Authorized 3rd party repair shop. Though they don't have as much leeway with what kind of repairs they can do(they usually have to prove its a known defect to Apple before they can get any parts), in my experience, they'll usually make a little more of an effort to help you.

14. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Honestly, just go try and get it fixed.

I had small amounts of dust behind my iphone screen and they replaced that (didn't think they would) and my iPhone's vibration motor was weak, but when I took it in it was working almost perfect, however they still replaced it.
    Basically all I'm saying it, just take it in. They may not do anything, but its worth a shot.

15. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek: Opening it up :eek: I don't think adjusting the hinges would fix anything cause it's the actual monitor/lid/whatever you call it but the display on the inside. But yea, I don't think I would want a new computer anyways as all my stuff is already on there.

Hmm I guess ... Perhaps, I should just make an appointment and go in and hope for the best.

@MrCooperS - it seems that not only do we have similar problems on our MBPs but the same car as well :p :cool:

16. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Oh! My bad, Yea, for issue #1 definitely no need to adjust anything, if Apple decided to fix it, they'd replace the whole thing.

I was actually referring to issue #2 where adjusting the hinges could help/fix the problem. When I got mine back from repair, while the display closed properly, it was totally off-center and hung over the left side of the body. They took it in back and came out about 10 min later and all was well.

17. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

Opps, sorry, I thought you were referring to issue 1. Issue #1 is really tricky but the thing is that almost every thread I read that has a hint of this issue pretty much said that there is no way to get a perfectly centered display so mine isn't all that bad/noticeable - I'm just afraid of getting another one that is worse (which has happen to some people on MR :eek:).

For issue 2, Yea, it might just be really loose on the left side but it's kinda scary to see how unbalance it is even if it's like a couple millimeters as I usually carry it around in my bag - so the issue could get even worse. :eek:

18. myke323 macrumors regular

My new MBP has none of those issues, thankfully. If it did, I would definitely bring it back. So I think you should return it and get another one.

19. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

Sounds like, among other things, you have a bad speaker. The lack of buzz/rattle noise during video playback is most likely due to the amount of compression used on those sources. That thing may not sound great, but it sure shouldn't buzz. Take it in!

20. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I might just do that - but my OCDness is definitely not letting me ... Another thing, apparently my issues are common and expected QC issues ...

My speakers sound great for video playback and about everything else except for those few songs so it might just be the music - what do you guys think? It's not so much as a buzzing/rattle but more of a ... distortion I believe. It doesn't buzz through the whole song but only at certain points. Could it be that I have my MBP on a metal stand it's vibrating even more that's causing the distortion? :confused:

21. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

I had a 13-inch MacBook Pro before I got my 15-inch Pro and I had the same problems. I learned to live with it until I sold it. It did get on my nerves though. Best of luck to you!

22. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeaaa, it's killing me. :( When you sold it, was there any problems that a potential buyer though of? I'm eventually going to sell mine when I upgrade. Also, did the problems get any worse with use? I'm afraid that if I let it go, these issues might get worse. :eek:

23. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

Being that you say it's the one side, no, I'd imagine it's the speaker or something on that side buzzing, either way, they should fix it for you. Different music and processing will have different reactions on your system, I had a set of Focals in the front kick panel of my car that were blown, they would buzz playing the CD version of a song, but not with the radio version of the same song, they sounded fine with the radio! This was entirely due to the radio broadcast compression. I still think you should bring that in for service.

24. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, since it's on the other side ... Hopefully yours worked out for the better!

25. vnle thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Guys!

Thank you all so much for your help! I think that most of you are right and so I have decided to take it to Apple. I will be making an appointment shortly and going in as soon as my new bag comes so that my mbp can be transported safely. :D

Again thank you!

I will post the outcome of this whole mess ... hopefully it'll be sorted out in my favor :p