Issues with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 93BlackSVT, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 93BlackSVT macrumors member

I purchased my MBP last November (8 months ago). Lately, I have noticed a couple potential issues popping up so I thought I would get some other opinions on them.

The first item I noticed is a sound it has been making when I pick the machine up rather quickly. For example, if I am sitting with it on my lap and I get up, when I lift it up, it makes one clicking sound. It is always a single click and does this just about every time I pick it up (unless I do so slowly). The click is similar to that of a failing HD click in sound, but I have no idea if this is truly what it is or not.

The second item, which has just popped up in the last couple weeks, is an unresponsive system. When I'm finished for the night, I will choose "Shut Down..." and the system does nothing. I eventually have had to hold down the power button to shut it off because I am not able to within the system. This has just started happening recently and has done so 3 or 4 times in the past two weeks.

Since I believe I received one year of AppleCare with my purchase (which I would still be within), I would like to get others' opinions on this and get it sent in if necessary. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

The clicking is probably the Sudden Motion Sensor.

The second problem could be remedied by repairing permissions via Disk Utility.

Btw, why do you shut down the Mac instead of sleeping it?

3. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just always been in the habit of shutting down when I'm done for the day. Is there a big advantage to sleeping it instead of shutting down (other than quicker start-up)?

4. Uffish Thought macrumors member

"The second item, which has just popped up in the last couple weeks, is an unresponsive system. When I'm finished for the night, I will choose "Shut Down..." and the system does nothing. I eventually have had to hold down the power button to shut it off because I am not able to within the system. This has just started happening recently and has done so 3 or 4 times in the past two weeks."

My MBP started doing the same thing a month ago. I tried repairing permissions, that didn't fix it, so I took it to the Genius Bar and they had me reinstall the OS. Still having the same problem, so they ordered me a new HD which hasn't come in yet.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

5. travershartston macrumors newbie

No there is no advantage to sleeping it vs shutting it down. The only advantage is with sleeping it all you have to do is lift up the lid and bam, its on. Also if the disk permissions repair don't work the first time you should verify them first, especially if its the first time you've done it. In my opinion Disk permissions should be repaired every month or so to avoid problems. Also try verifying the DISK as well, that will determine if there are any serious hardware problems with the HD as you mentioned a clicking noise. Hope this helped.
    *Prodigy*

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

some users will most likely argue that it is better to put it to sleep rather than shutting it down. it really makes no difference. i suppose the argument behind shutting it down being bad is that the hdd has the boot up each day presumably and that "wears it out." it's made to boot up, so no worries. personally, i do a mixture of the two. most of the time i shut it down when i am done for the day and go to sleep, and a small amount of the time i put it to sleep w/ me (lol =p) for convenience when i wake up the next day.

7. travershartston macrumors newbie

If the new HD dosen't fix the problem then i suggest either updating your firmware or you can try this: Start your mac in 'single user mode' you do this by holding the command key and the S key while the machine boots up and the screen is white. The screen should then turn black, then there should be a bunch of white text then at the bottom when its finnished booting up you should see a promt, you must then type: shutdown -h now
    if the comupter fails to shut down try typing : reboot
    if that fails then you must hold down the power button and restart it manually
    it will start in its normal mode.
    hope that helped
    *Prodigy*