Issues with my Galaxy S3 putting my Mac to sleep

noodile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I am always used to putting my iPhone on the left side of the track pad when i'm syncing. Today i got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and when it was syncing, EVERYTIME i put it on the left side of the trackpad, it would put the mac to sleep, exactly like what happens when you close the display. Is this because i have the NFC enabled? or is it something with the mac?

2012 cMBP 15"

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
Princeton, NJ
I am always used to putting my iPhone on the left side of the track pad when i'm syncing. Today i got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and when it was syncing, EVERYTIME i put it on the left side of the trackpad, it would put the mac to sleep, exactly like what happens when you close the display. Is this because i have the NFC enabled? or is it something with the mac?

2012 cMBP 15"
Honestly have never heard of this issue. No clue what's wrong with your Mac because it sure isn't the S3

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I saw you mention this in the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices sub-form and can definitely say it has to do with the NFC in the S3 because I have the sleep issue due to my S2 being charged on the side of my MacBook Pro too... I didn't even think about it until now.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011

2012 cMBP 15"
Don't mean to thread jack, but how are you syncing your S3 with your MBP, I have not had any luck with it. My Thunderbolt synced easily but my S3 isn't being so friendly.

noodile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Don't mean to thread jack, but how are you syncing your S3 with your MBP, I have not had any luck with it. My Thunderbolt synced easily but my S3 isn't being so friendly.

Haven't tried syncying much. COntacts, book marks etc are all handled by gmail and chrome. wirelessly onto my S3.

and music is handled by iSyncr. pretty easy and reliable. just make sure you restart the phone after you install it or else you get a "failed to copy" message

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Yes, it's activating the lid sensor in the Macbook. The Macbook uses a magnetic sensor to determine when you have closed the lid so it can go to sleep. The S3 is triggering that somehow, possibly via the NFC field.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009

2012 cMBP 15"
how do you like the galaxy S3? They have been talking about it on macbreak weekly