Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
Hello,
Recently I've been having frequent crashes on my 2017 Macbook Air. After following some advice online and installing etreCheckPro, I've diagnosed my Macbook and the report isn't looking that great.

Major Issues:
Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

Failing hard drive - This computer has a hard drive that appears to be failing.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be malicious and should be reviewed.

Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure.

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2024-03-27 21:48:48 Kernel Panic (2 times)
Details:
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff800471cd86): initproc exited -- exit reaso
n namespace 2 subcode 0xa description: none
Could not recover SATA HDD after 5 attempts. Terminating.

2024-03-26 21:21:21 Roblox.app - High CPU Use (23 times)
Executable: /Applications/Roblox.app
2024-03-26 14:25:52 Kernel Panic
Details:
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff800dd7f938): watchdog timeout: no checkins
from watchdogd in 91 seconds (82 total checkins since monitoring last
enabled)
Panicked task 0xffffff988600b670: 174 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

2024-03-26 09:54:59 Kernel Panic
Details:
panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff80105cc183): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8010ba2
f7c, type 14=page fault, registers:
Panicked task 0xffffff99b6976670: 178 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

2024-03-25 09:51:35 Kernel Panic
Details:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800e51ceb7): userspace panic: boot task fai
lure: fips - required boot task executable not found @kern_shutdown.c:
Panicked task 0xffffff8b4db42350: 4 threads: pid 1: launchd

2024-03-24 20:39:42 signpost_reporter - High CPU Use
Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter
2024-03-21 13:33:08 AppleCameraAssistant - Crash (2 times)
Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMediaIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AppleCamera.plugin

Should I get my Macbook in for repair for the 4th time, or transfer my data to a 1TB drive and consider getting a new device?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello,
Recently I've been having frequent crashes on my 2017 Macbook Air. After following some advice online and installing etreCheckPro, I've diagnosed my Macbook and the report isn't looking that great.

Major Issues:
Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

Failing hard drive - This computer has a hard drive that appears to be failing.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be malicious and should be reviewed.

Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure.

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2024-03-27 21:48:48 Kernel Panic (2 times)
Details:
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff800471cd86): initproc exited -- exit reaso
n namespace 2 subcode 0xa description: none

2024-03-26 21:21:21 Roblox.app - High CPU Use (23 times)
Executable: /Applications/Roblox.app
2024-03-26 14:25:52 Kernel Panic
Details:
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff800dd7f938): watchdog timeout: no checkins
from watchdogd in 91 seconds (82 total checkins since monitoring last
enabled)
Panicked task 0xffffff988600b670: 174 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

2024-03-26 09:54:59 Kernel Panic
Details:
panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff80105cc183): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8010ba2
f7c, type 14=page fault, registers:
Panicked task 0xffffff99b6976670: 178 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

2024-03-25 09:51:35 Kernel Panic
Details:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800e51ceb7): userspace panic: boot task fai
lure: fips - required boot task executable not found @kern_shutdown.c:
Panicked task 0xffffff8b4db42350: 4 threads: pid 1: launchd

2024-03-24 20:39:42 signpost_reporter - High CPU Use
Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter
2024-03-21 13:33:08 AppleCameraAssistant - Crash (2 times)
Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMediaIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AppleCamera.plugin

Should I get my Macbook in for repair for the 4th time, or transfer my data to a 1TB drive and consider getting a new device?
Without seeing more details it looks like the storage in the MacBook may be failing.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I wonder about the 'malicious code.' Could it be throwing off the other readings? first thing I would do is get your data off it, then wipe it clean and reinstall fresh (not from backup) the OS. But I would hope you already have your data secured off the device.

kalery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
I wonder about the 'malicious code.' Could it be throwing off the other readings? first thing I would do is get your data off it, then wipe it clean and reinstall fresh (not from backup) the OS. But I would hope you already have your data secured off the device.
The unsigned files are safe, just went through all of them :) Thanks for your input

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
There's an iFixit guide on replacing the storage in a 2017 MBA - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Early+2017+SSD+Replacement/135947

It gives it a 'moderate' difficulty level and it doesn't look too hard to do. Alternatively, you could instead simply add an external drive and make that bootable, which would give you an easier solution, though more cumbersome. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+create+a+bootable+USB+drive/66371

If you haven't already, back up all your present data. TimeMachine is good and that would not just secure your data 'just in case' but give you a good basis for a reinstall on a new drive.

I would suggest a manual reinstall of macOS and the apps though, just to be sure.

Reactions: jchap

kalery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
There's an iFixit guide on replacing the storage in a 2017 MBA - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Early+2017+SSD+Replacement/135947

It gives it a 'moderate' difficulty level and it doesn't look too hard to do. Alternatively, you could instead simply add an external drive and make that bootable, which would give you an easier solution, though more cumbersome. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+create+a+bootable+USB+drive/66371

If you haven't already, back up all your present data. TimeMachine is good and that would not just secure your data 'just in case' but give you a good basis for a reinstall on a new drive.

I would suggest a manual reinstall of macOS and the apps though, just to be sure.
Repair costs are beginning to be quite cumbersome for me. The total repair cost I've spent on my Macbook exceeds the price I got it for! I appreciate your advice, and will try it.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Repair costs are beginning to be quite cumbersome for me. The total repair cost I've spent on my Macbook exceeds the price I got it for! I appreciate your advice, and will try it.
These things are generally more than reliable enough that ONE repair in 6 years or so is a lot. It does make me wonder what has previously needed attention, and why exactly this particular MBA has not proven to be reliable.

That said, a replacement SSD is still a lot less cost than a replacement MacBook, so unless there is some reason to be cautious over this particular unit, that would be the obvious course.

As I say though, make sure you have a backup at least of your data. The reason to do a manual install of macOS and your apps is to ensure you don't end up restoring a damaged copy of OS components or executables as a result of potential corruption from the failing drive.

Personally, I'd be tempted to create an external bootable drive and run that for a while just to make sure there's nothing else wrong with the system. That bootable can then be used to restore a new internal drive if all works well.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Without seeing more details it looks like the storage in the MacBook may be failing.
This sounds about right.

The error sounds alot like ram failure.
I've replaced ram chips myself. It's not fun. But it's possible.

It's usually a $200-300 fix if you can find a repair shop willing to take it on.

Dosdude has amazing videos showing how to do it.
It's how I learned.

kalery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
These things are generally more than reliable enough that ONE repair in 6 years or so is a lot. It does make me wonder what has previously needed attention, and why exactly this particular MBA has not proven to be reliable.

That said, a replacement SSD is still a lot less cost than a replacement MacBook, so unless there is some reason to be cautious over this particular unit, that would be the obvious course.

As I say though, make sure you have a backup at least of your data. The reason to do a manual install of macOS and your apps is to ensure you don't end up restoring a damaged copy of OS components or executables as a result of potential corruption from the failing drive.

Personally, I'd be tempted to create an external bootable drive and run that for a while just to make sure there's nothing else wrong with the system. That bootable can then be used to restore a new internal drive if all works well.
Thanks once again. I'll update you guys if my Macbook crashes once more.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
... It does make me wonder what has previously needed attention, and why exactly this particular MBA has not proven to be reliable.

kalery has already spent more on repair costs than what the purchase price of the MacBook Air was though.

Repair costs are beginning to be quite cumbersome for me. The total repair cost I've spent on my Macbook exceeds the price I got it for!

I get the feeling this MacBook Air may have been purchased as used. After 3 repairs so far...

I'd dump it for a new (or Apple Refurbished) unit. A 4th repair would be throwing good money after bad.

Reactions: spcopsmac21

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
kalery has already spent more on repair costs than what the purchase price of the MacBook Air was though.
Indeed, but that wasn't the point.

That issue goes to the heart of whether this machine is worth saving, not whether a repair is cheaper than a replacement. And that in many ways depends on what the prior repairs were actually for, because for example, if they were for prior SSD replacement(s) there's something rather wrong with how that repair was done, possibly by whom, rather than the system.

I'd dump it for a new (or Apple Refurbished) unit. A 4th repair would be throwing good money after bad.
Absolutely - and the refurb store is an excellent source. And not necessarily.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Don’t lose sight of the sunk cost fallacy. You’ve repaired the computer four times. It still has a bad battery and SSD. Even if it is fixed, you still have a seven year old computer with a TN display and a processor from 2015. Cut your losses and get an M1.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
You said it was a ‘17 but didn’t say the size. I’m gonna assume it’s the 13 inch.

So why it’d be a SATA HDD in the log I don’t get. If anything it should show SATA SSD. Separately you’re running an Intel machine and I see high CPU usage with Roblox on the report. Your model has one fan and if it’s on a pillow, blanket, or anywhere without a solid surface it could get very hot. Apple doesn’t push the fans until it’s already throttling due to extreme heat and if the exhaust at the hinge is blocked it can’t cool at all. The result is that without proper cooling major hardware failure can occur. Anyway, this is what you can do to check the internal drive status and for any possible hardware failure.

Run Apple Hardware Test. Here’s the guide Apple Support. This will check all the hardware in the computer and run a set of tests on each of them to figure out if a part is failing. There are some cases it won’t catch, for example a cracked logic board causing sudden random power failures when moved.

To check just the drive to see if it’s dying, go to Intel Support for a good guide on finding the SMART status in System Information. The first set of instructions uses terminal and the second set uses the System Information app.

These are both functions built into the Mac and supported by Apple.

iFixIt has a good guide on replacing the ssd and offer parts and tools for the repair. You can find the guide for the 13 inch here and a link to a bundle that includes the tools you need and the replacement part is at the top of the page.

If it’s the RAM or CPU/GPU I wouldn’t bother paying to have it serviced. At this point it’s 7 years old and new ones being on sale lately are a better deal than a repair. The repair for this would be hundreds of dollars and you’d be back at this point again. Kinda like a high mileage car. Plus the performance boost and much lower temperatures when taxed will make it easier to prevent heat related failures with normal use, Roblox included.

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Here’s another vote to move on. I liked these machines because of the replaceable SSD, but at this point, you’re throwing good money after bad to repair it again.

• Love
Reactions: krspkbl

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
you could try buying an external HD. AN SSD external. Install a fresh Install of macOS on it and set it as your boot up drive.

If you are good to go and dont experience any kernel panics you solved your problems. Just may need a new HD and a fresh macOS Install. A fresh macOS Install will also rid your computer of the reported malicious files or spyware

PS. you could also just run your MacBook Air booting from an external SSD attached drive if you dont wanna spend money on repairing it with a new internal SSD.

Maybe you have a slow normal HD in your Mac air now? Which means if you buy an external fast SSD and boot Sonoma or Ventura from it you will end up with a more speedy laptop.

Last edited:

kalery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
you could try buying an external HD. AN SSD external. Install a fresh Install of macOS on it and set it as your boot up drive.

If you are good to go and dont experience any kernel panics you solved your problems. Just may need a new HD and a fresh macOS Install. A fresh macOS Install will also rid your computer of the reported malicious files or spyware

PS. you could also just run your MacBook Air booting from an external SSD attached drive if you dont wanna spend money on repairing it with a new internal SSD.

Maybe you have a slow normal HD in your Mac air now? Which means if you buy an external fast SSD and boot Sonoma or Ventura from it you will end up with a more speedy laptop.
Monterey is the last architecture supported by my Macbook.
It's time to throw in the towel and buy the Mac Mini - as of writing this, the battery on my Macbook is no longer functional. I am typing this with my charger plugged in as life support.

Once again, thank you all for your advice! Never expected this many people would help me out with such a trivial problem :)

Cheers

Reactions: profcutter

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Time for a new Mac.

2017 was 7 years ago. It had a good run I guess?

Any money you spent trying fix your Air is better used towards a new Mac. Even if you did fix it then it's not going to last much longer.

Reactions: profcutter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.