issues with my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lukegarnz, Feb 12, 2008.

1. lukegarnz macrumors member

Hi guys,

My macbook is driving me mad tonight, the fans on them are going crazy up around 6000rpm when it's not doing anything and no apps are open. I tried repairing disk permissions but that doesn't seem to have done anything. For some reason about 50% of my cpu is being used for nothing. I tried resetting the PRAM but that hasn't done anything either in fact now it won't even pick up my wireless network. I thought it could be linked to the latest update to leopard as i read some other posts about that but it's been happening for a few days now.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help at all, i'm due to go to austria next tuesday for my wedding and want to take it with me.

thanks for any help in advance.

2. lukegarnz thread starter macrumors member

So i've stopped the excessive CPU usage and fan activity, but my wireless is still only holding it's connection for about 10 seconds then dropping. I tried resetting the PRAM again but isn't doing anything. Am i right in saying that it's alt, option, P, R to reset PRAM? Any help would be appreciated.

3. Spievy macrumors regular

Are you running Leopard? If so have you updated to 10.5.2?

4. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

I did and I am having some major overheating issues. I performed the 10.5.2 update last night and now when I am trying to stream a long movie the fans hit 6000 and the cpu temperature rises to an unprecedented 169*. This is not good and it has just happened for the first time today. Weird.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

firstly dont reset your PRAM all the time for such minor issues. the PRAM should only be reset if no other steps can fix the issue.

if your fans are revving up and your CPU is under a lot of load check out Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. select all processes at the top and sort the CPU column. which process is too high in CPU usage?

dont know about your wireless issue. seems that a few Leopard users cannot maintain a stable wireless connection with Airport. are you sure you connected properly. have you tried using network diagnostics or assistant in network preferences?

6. lukegarnz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies,

Yeeah i upgraded to 10.5.2 last night and then had the issues with the wireless. I sorted out the fan and CPU issue using activity monitor. I think the wireless sorted it self out last night it held a connection for about 5 mins before i went to bed so i'll check it again tonight when i get home from work.

7. Spievy macrumors regular

That was what I was going to suggest.

I had the same problem when I updated my PB 17" to Leopard (no it wasn't Spotlight indexing). I watched my Activity Monitor and noticed some really weird stuff. I stopped the weird processes and my fan issue and cpu usage stopped. Had not had a problem since then.