Carrier Issues with my new Iphone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luis G., Mar 29, 2015.

1. Luis G. macrumors member

I just recently got an Iphone 6 and have noticed a very annoying and consistent problem. It often switches out LTE for 4G service.
    I've been able to isolate the problem and it seems to do it when I have less than 3 bars of LTE.
    I've never had this problem before on my Note 3, and my sister seems to be fine on AT&T with her Iphone 6.

It's kind of annoying for reasons that T-mobiles 4g service is vastly slower than even 1 bar of LTE.

Anyone knows what gives?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Spotty/poor T-Mobile LTE signal penetration/reception?

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Was it better with your previous phone?

4. Luis G. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah my previous would only loose LTE signal if it was not present at all. Even tried the same SIM on my previous Note 3 using a SIM adapter, no problems.

This happens outside of buildings. I am aware of T-mobiles somewhat crappy building penetration.

When I was in Coppell (same position +-10 feet) I had 4G for about 20 minutes then suddenly changed to 5 bars LTE. During those 20 minutes, it was incredibly slow or I'd get "retry network" timeouts. Once the 5 bars of LTE kicked in, it was very fast, even got 68mbps/21.92 speeds on speedtest.net.

I just went to the Apple store. They told me it could be the fact the memory was "used up" and ram was being freed up on some apps. In any case, doubt those tech's know what they're talking about beyond what they're told during training.
    They replaced the device, if I keep having the issues I will have to consider my options.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

It might be something with the phone then. Did you try and see if Apple would exchange the phone?

6. Luis G. thread starter macrumors member

They did. Now testing.

7. Luis G. thread starter macrumors member

Seems I had a defective phone. New ones seems to be working a lot better. Still a bit slow to switch between 4g and LTE, but it only takes a minute or less to make the change versus 10-30minutes.

Additional information: seems my Note 3/Note 4 had slightly better reception (stronger signal+more bars like -79 signal vs -110~) however doesn't seem to affect function.