Issues with new Macbook 1.2

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GENX, May 1, 2015.

1. GENX macrumors newbie

So let me just say to begin, I have loved every Apple product I have owned, so I've always been very positive about the new Macbook and wanted one immediately. I sold my fully specced MBPR 15' to get ready for the new macbook release. My uses are extremely casual, basically light browsing, listening to music, and imessage. Upon getting my new computer 2 weeks ago I loved it, however, the battery life has been unbelievable awful and I keep getting the beachball when trying to load a simple website. I mean I have brightness set to 50% all apps closed except safari with 1/2 tabbs open and it says 4-5 hours of battery and thats what i get. The only way it ever says 8 hours of battery is if brightness is at 10%. And why does it keep freezing when I try to open a simple website, its not all sites, but i would say every other day there is a site that totally freezes the computer. Anyone have insights on to what I am doing wrong? I can't imagine this computer is this bad.

2. junkw macrumors regular

3. GENX thread starter macrumors newbie

You think something is wrong with mine and I should take it in to the store?

4. psneddon macrumors member

Sounds like a software issue to me, have you tried to run a disk check or create a new user account to test safari with? Also running activity monitor will shed light on what apps are using up the most energy.

--
    Paul

5. junkw macrumors regular

install istat, it puts a cpu monitor in the top menu

6. GENX thread starter macrumors newbie

The freezing is annoying but the battery life is my biggest concern. When I check activity monitor it says only thing using battery is safari (again like 2 tabs open) Has anyone else been experiencing battery this bad?

7. junkw macrumors regular

install "coconut battery" to see the design capacity in mAh of your battery

8. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Clean Install of OSX?

I was having freezing problems, but not the battery issues. I did a simple OSX reinstall from the recovery partition and freezing stopped. With your issues clean reinstall might be the way to go. Call Apple.

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Well... it seems that you're expecting a i7 performance on a Core M laptop. Disable translucency and make sure your broadband plan is good enough. I don't expect a nMB outperforming a base Macbook Air.

10. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I have the 1.2/512 MacBook and have had none of the issues you are experiencing. My battery is generally pretty good if I'm not running Parallels VMs (Windows 10 Tech Preview) and I have never had the freezing you are talking about. Honestly, I am not sure if I have seen the beachball except for when I do software updates. So far this laptop has performed exceptionally well.

I opened the box, turned it on and during the initial setup chose the option to restore from the Time Machine backup of my previous MacBook Pro. I have had no issues. Not sure how you set yours up, but as some have suggested you might consider doing a backup, then doing a clean install from the recovery partition. Then run it clean for a day and see if you get the same kind of freezing and battery issues (give it a couple hours after setup to complete the Apple indexing, though.) If not, it was software. If so, it's hardware and I would take it to Apple.

Hope you get it resolved, because, like I said, this has been a great little laptop since the moment I opened it. And you should be able to have the same experience that I've been having!

Good luck!

11. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

light browsing, listening to music, and iMessage.

for this he needs a fully speced rmbp and then a costly mb? and he still whines/

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

First, why sell a perfectly good rMBP for a MB?
    Second, we don't know what you've installed and this could be the issue. Did you restore from a rMBP backup?

If indexing and compressing are done and the problem continues take the mbp to the store and exchange it.

----------

Clean means that you don't then restore from a backup. Install what you need again.

13. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Is it possible in initial,setup, that folks blew by the default setting that started FileVault. I was shocked when I picked mine up in the Apple Store that showed the radio button for FileVault selected by default. FileVault taxes the OS right? The Apple rep. Pointed this out to me.

14. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

what's the average energy impact on it?

I have similar experience with mine, 3-4 tabs open, 25% brightness. can't lost more than 7 hours