Issues with outgoing mail on school's network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrat93, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I moved into my dorm two days ago.

My roommate brought an AirPort Extreme, and almost everything has been running smoothly.

However, I am having trouble sending mail. I have my MobileMe, Gmail, and School (which goes through Google) email set up. Whenever I try to send mail, I get an error message saying:

I get the same thing when I select any other SMTP server. All of my default SMTP servers say "(Offline)" next to them.

I don't know much about networking. I don't completely understand what ports are, nor do I know what SSL is. does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Check to see if your setup isn't a "Double NAT" situation...a router behind a router. It causes problems such as the one you're describing. If so, you need to setup the AE in bridge mode.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are trying to send messages through a foreign Outgoing Mail (SMTP) server, specifically smtp.me.com. I am betting that you are using an unsecured port, probably Port 25. It is common practice--really common--for ISPs to block access to foreign SMTP servers, especially through unauthenticated ports. Many, however, allow Authenticated SMTP access.
    Many ISPs allow access to Authenticated SMTP servers through Port 587. You will probably have to enter your password and account name.

And another thing--your account is defined by your Incoming Mail Server. This is your POP3, IMAP, or Exchange server. The SMTP server is a security measure by the ISP. It does not define your account. You may send any message through from any account through any SMTP server for which you have access. For example, you may send Yahoo! Mail, GMail, AOL Mail, Hotmail, MobileMe messages, or mail from any other account through GMail's SMTP server. The MacOS X 10.0 version of Mail used localhost (your computer) as the SMTP server. The point is that your SMTP server does not have to match your Incoming Mail server.