Issues with prolonged periods without shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firstjudge, Apr 13, 2009.

1. firstjudge macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Does anyone else experience problems when they don't shut down their macbook pro for several weeks by just letting it sleep? I notice that when I do decide to shut it down after several weeks os x would freeze on me right when I click on finder > shut down which forces me turn off the computer manually. (the screen gets stuck and not even apple+cmd+esc does anything). Is this a common occurrence or is it just me?

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I rarely shut mine down with no issues. Do you have enough RAM so memory leaks aren't filling it up? 4Gb would be good. Try testing the RAM with Memtest. Bad RAM could cause issues like this. It could also be another hardware problem.

It could also be a software problem. Do a full backup, then repair permissions, then verify (and repair if errors are found) your disk. If that doesn't help, try reinstalling the OS. It might be a service or process freezing when it gets the shutdown signal, though the OS should force any frozen processes to stop on shutdown.

Also, you can try the usual SMC and PRAM resets (instructions can be found on Apple's website).

3. firstjudge thread starter macrumors newbie