Issues with recovering an iMac harddrive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by meyer0095, Dec 13, 2010.

1. meyer0095, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

meyer0095 macrumors newbie

My iMac hard drive recently failed and I bought a 2.5" enclosure to try and fix it. After buying it I realized I needed a 3.5", it was more trouble then it was worth to return, so I decided to rip apart the cheap plastic and just get the actual adapter part. (threw away the rest of the adapter).

I connected it to the hard drive. The only part it connects to is the part with the two sections of pin things. The first time it had some heating issues and started smoking, I pulled it out, waited a sec, and tried again and it had no heating issues. The hard drive has made no noise though, and it is not showing up at all on my desktop.

Is there any chance that the above could actually work and it is just the hard drive issue?

2. iMac-do you? macrumors newbie

I think you'll have to be more specific and describe exactly what you are trying to do, and why. The more info we have, the better chance of help you get.

3. meyer0095 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies I was in a rush. Fixed.

4. iMac-do you? macrumors newbie

If it started smoking the first time you connected it, you may have fried something (the drive or the adapter, or both), if the drive wasn't already dead.

All you can do is get another adapter (3.5in enclosure or just a simple SATA/IDE to USB adapter), and see what happens. You can get the SATA/IDE to USB adapters cheap on eBay.