Issues with Recovery Partition reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by masse, Jul 23, 2011.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I am having problems with Lion on my 1st gen unibody MBP. Long story short I absolutely need to do a clean install. The problem is apple has made this annoyingly frustrating.

I booted the recovery HD and selected "reinstall OSX". It took 5 hours and re-downloaded Lion and then couldn't install for whatever reason.

Take 2:

I tried to do the same steps again but from a university connection (very very fast), but now I cannot connect to the router because Lion asks for a username and password to change security certificate settings. Since it's the recovery partition, user names and passwords from the main HD do not work. Is there a default system admin username and password? This is a serious oversight from Apple if there is no way around it.

Suggestions?

P.S. Reinstalling snow leopard is not an option because 1) I cannot find the disk, 2) my superdrive can't read discs, 3) I cannot go to the Apple store because I cannot be without a computer.

2. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

I got a senior level 'wifi engineer' on the phone after nobody could seem to solve the problem. Long story short they didn't have an answer but hitting cancel and enter a few times made it go away and connect to wifi.

Lion much better with clean install :)