Issues with reformatting / MPB freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spencetacular, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Spencetacular macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro.
    A few months ago, I noticed that my Mac was having some weird issues. If I let a program run too long, I'd get stuck in the program. It usually happens with Safari. So I can switch windows but it always says I'm in Safari so I can't actually do anything in any other program, even if I quit Safari (the window would just close but I would still be "stuck"). I tried zapping the PRAM and the MBP is faster now but the freezing issue persists.
    So I decided to reformat my laptop and now am worried since I've been using my laptop for a few months with this problem. If I restore using Time Machine, I'm going to lose the files ive downloaded or created recently if I go too far back, correct?
    Anyone else have any other suggestions to fix the freezing problem? I thought about reformatting then only pulling select files from Time Machine over so I don't accidentally copy over whatever is causing the freezing issue again.

thanks!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This makes sense, clean install followed by a SMC and PRAM reset and then just use the laptop for a few days. If the problem is gone, start to copy back select files vs a TM restore.

3. Spencetacular thread starter macrumors newbie

for my own sanity can anyone tell me if what I said about going too far back is accurate? "If I restore using Time Machine, I'm going to lose the files ive downloaded or created recently if I go too far back, correct?"

I should have also mentioned that simply reinstalling snow leopard didn't work.

anyone else ever encounter this freezing problem?

4. broadsword macrumors newbie

Be careful with Time Machine. If you erase the disk and start with a clean install because of a problem, you should avoid restoring with Time Machine. Since Time Machine backs up system files (unless you tell it otherwise) if you restore from Time Machine you could get the problem-files back onto your disk and the problem you're having will be persist.

Instead, back up your important files manually on a separate disk and start over as clean as possible. I made this mistake myself...