Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Greetings from Puerto Rico. I apologize in advance for my bad English skills.

About a week ago I registered online an APP for my MBP 13" (bought from eBay from a high-feedback seller; it brought the box with the web registration instructions, the 'Getting Started Guide', etc.). I could not get the address of any of my relatives in U.S. to register my machine so I used mine but specifying 'Puerto Rico' as another US State (though this island is an Commonwealth, it appeared as an option in Apple's APP registration site). I kept checking the Apple support site throughout the days and the system just showed that 'registration is in process', so I called Customer Service yesterday. The Apple employee who took the call informed me that:

1. There was no problem in using my address in Puerto Rico but I should be aware that, in order to receive hardware repairs, I would have to send the computer to a trustworthy relative or friend in US mainland to be taken to an Apple Store (I already knew that).
2. My computer's serial number was incorrectly entered to their database (???) but I shouldn't have any kind of problems with that after entering the correct number.
3. I asked him to send me email the AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate. He told me he had sent the certificate to my email and should receive a printed copy by regular mail no later than two weeks.

I must remark that, in fact, I received the email with the AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate in like 10 minutes after hanging up the call; it has all my correct personal information but my hardware details and the Contract End Date of my APP are missing! Has this happened to any of you? What could that mean? :confused:

APP_screencap.jpg

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
eBay Applecare sales are often scams. Even eBay sellers with high ratings can be scam artists because the buyer feedback is posted before buyers realize there is a problem with their Applecare registration.

A typical scam is reselling the same Applecare serial number multiple times. In these cases the seller e-mails the buyer an Applecare serial number. The buyer doesn't discover that there is a problem until he tries to use the warranty.

There are also reports of counterfeit Applecare boxes showing up on eBay.

Scam warning signs:

1. The seller is a private party and not an Apple Authorized Reseller.

2. The seller has a number of Applecare policies for sale and appears to have an unlimited supply of serial numbers. (Check the seller history.)

3. The serial number is e-mailed instead of shipping a retail box.

4. The Applecare price is an insanely good deal. B&H Photo and The L.A. Computer Company consistently have the best prices on Applecare policies. Check their Web sites and the Apple educational discount (which the L.A. Computer Co. often beats by a few dollars). If the eBay price is less than their prices ask yourself this question: How is it that a private party came into possession of multiple Applecare serial numbers at such a low cost?

Unfortunately, Apple's online Applecare serial number registration system accepts multiple registrations of the same serial number. But as far as Apple is concerned only the first registration is valid; subsequent registrations are not honored. There is no recourse through Apple.

It is difficult to tell from your post exactly what is happening, so I'm not saying that you have been scammed. But you should be aware of the possibility.

You should contact Applecare directly and have them double-check your serial number to be sure that it is valid. Make sure that it hasn't been previously registered. If it isn't valid for some reason you can initiate a case with eBay to get your money refunded. If you contact the seller he will probably offer to e-mail another serial number but it will probably have been sold to multiple buyers. You want to be sure to file a complaint and get your money refunded before the seller disappears.

Last edited:

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
You should contact Applecare directly and have them double-check your serial number to be sure that it is valid. Make sure that it hasn't been previously registered. If it isn't valid for some reason you can initiate a case with eBay to get your money refunded. If you contact the seller he will probably offer to e-mail another serial number but it will probably have been sold to multiple buyers. You want to be sure to file a complaint and get your money refunded before the seller disappears.
I think I'll do just that to prevent more problems. Thanks a lot! :)

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Update

I want to give an update of my situation: I wrote last night to the seller on eBay saying that if in 48 hours I couldn't resolve my situation with Apple, I would contact eBay to request a refund. He quickly replied telling me to let him know if there's still a problem and if something happened he would take care of everything for me (something I don't believe and makes me feel suspicious, since only Apple manages APP registrations).

I called Apple an hour ago to see if it was possible to cancel my APP registration. I was told that Apple only does this type of transaction as a refund and after receiving a copy of the original Proof of Purchase (no, the box's Serial Number is not enough) –something I don't have as I bought it from eBay, and if I cancel the APP it would not be possible to register another number to my computer :(. I requested to have a copy of the certificate of APP by email with all the details of my hardware and if that does not happen tonight will make a claim with eBay to see if I can receive a refund.

I'll keep you posted in a few hours. My recommendation to everyone who's considering buying the APP: just avoid any kind of hassles in the future, don't buy it from eBay. Thanks.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Sorry To Read About Your Headache...

It's too bad that you didn't search these forums for advice before purchasing Applecare on eBay. I have written about eBay Applecare issues multiple times.

I don't fault you for thinking the seller was OK based on buyer feedback. The buyers post their feedback soon after they receive the serial number, so they have no idea that they have been scammed. By the time they find out it is usually too late to do anything about it.

An eBay Applecare warning should be a "sticky" thread on the Macrumors forum. I also think that eBay should ban Applecare sales since most are scams.

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
It's too bad that you didn't search these forums for advice before purchasing Applecare on eBay. I have written about eBay Applecare issues multiple times.
Unfortunately, you're right. I will request a refund through eBay to see what they do. While the reps at Apple told me I was good and I won't have problems with the registration I have a bad feeling about the item and the seller, so I'll see what can I do at eBay and, for the benefit of the community, let you all know how things unfold.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
If the Applecare registration has been accepted by Apple perhaps you should just let it go since canceling the warranty appears to be problematic. I had an Applecare warranty purchased from an eBay scammer that was fine once she sent me a serial number that hadn't been registered by someone else. But when it comes time to add get a warranty for my 13" MBP i'll buy it from a reputable online retailer.

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
If the Applecare registration has been accepted by Apple perhaps you should just let it go since canceling the warranty appears to be problematic. I had an Applecare warranty purchased from an eBay scammer that was fine once she sent me a serial number that hadn't been registered by someone else. But when it comes time to add get a warranty for my 13" MBP i'll buy it from a reputable online retailer.
Sadly, I can't risk losing almost $200 for a APP that could eventually be revoked. Honestly, I can't decide what to do ATM.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
You got a box by the sounds of it? I wouldn't panic quite so fast. Apple takes a bit of time to get the Applecare agreements in their systems. The eBay seller could be legit and this is Apple dragging their feet.

It took better than two weeks for my Applecare + plan to show on my phone, and while the phone was bought from Verizon, the Applecare + was purchased in a retail Apple store..

I'd not panic quite so fast, and keep an eye on it, at least up to the cutoff you'll have to work with to file the eBay claim.

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
UPDATE: eBay will make a refund

Hello again. I would like to provide an update on my case. I wrote the seller to ask for a copy of an APP proof of purchase. A few hours later he sent me a receipt for a purchase of 12 boxes of the plan in a California-based local computer store. After closer look at the document he sent me I could see that, in addition to not including the boxes' serial numbers, something that, I think, is critical to any request that I do with Apple, I discovered that the store where he bought them isn't an Apple Authorized Service Provider, which means that the proof of purchase that he sent me gives me no assurance about the possibility that I may have issues with the APP in the future.

I contacted eBay requesting a refund, explaining my concerns, and the case was decided in my favor. Tomorrow morning I will send the item back so eBay can transfer the money back to my PayPal account. It's sad that maybe I will be left without any extended warranty by the end of June if I can't register another APP number to my computer. I'll contact Apple again to see what I can do.

Apple takes a bit of time to get the Applecare agreements in their systems. The eBay seller could be legit and this is Apple dragging their feet.
As to whether the seller is genuine or not, I have no way of knowing– nor I have much time to just let it go and see how things unfold in time. I just know that today marks two weeks since I checked the Apple APP and have not received any document by mail nor have received an email with a complete APP Certficate. :(

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
As to whether the seller is genuine or not, I have no way of knowing– nor I have much time to just let it go and see how things unfold in time. I just know that today marks two weeks since I checked the Apple APP and have not received any document by mail nor have received an email with a complete APP Certficate. :(

Have you plugged the serial in to see if the info's updated?

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Have you plugged the serial in to see if the info's updated?

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
Yes, it still says that "The registration of an AppleCare Protection Plan is in progress. Until registration is complete, your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty."

Do any of you have received your APP Proof of Coverage in the mail after more than two weeks of waiting? :confused:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Since your eBay claim has been decided in your favor and the money is going to be refunded you can now focus on obtaining a bona fide Applecare warranty.

B&H Photo and the L.A. Computer Co. consistently have the best online prices. Since Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., they may ship to you.

Good luck!

Enigmaticland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Since your eBay claim has been decided in your favor and the money is going to be refunded you can now focus on obtaining a bona fide Applecare warranty.

B&H Photo and the L.A. Computer Co. consistently have the best online prices. Since Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., they may ship to you.

Good luck!
Thanks! :) I'll call Apple and see what they can do for me. AFAIK it's not possible to cancel a registration without claiming a refund, but I'll insist to get that previous registration canceled. As soon as I manage to sort everything, I will let you know.

I don't usually do these things but I must point out the eBay listing and its seller; by doing this I hope to alert others who are considering getting AppleCare (avoid eBay at all costs, people!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.