Issues with remaining space on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewhenders, May 24, 2012.

1. andrewhenders macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a late 2011 17 inch Macbook Pro 2.4ghz i7 with 16gb ram, 128gb Crucial M4 SSD, and a Seagate 750gb Harddrive in the optibay. It has been running great since I bought it in December.

Last night I realized that the SSD is only showing 68.7gb remaining. I don't keep anything but applications on the SSD. Everything else goes on the optibay so I should have much more space.

'Home' or whatever you want to call it is showing that I am using 22.9gb but when you command + i on the individual folders and add up the space it is only using up 3.5gb. Where is the remaining 18.5gb?

The trash is empty, I have used disk utility, clean my mac, etc. I did a clean install on the SSD when I installed it. Trim support is off.

If you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I recommend downloading and using OmniDiskSweeper It will produce a list of folders and files sorted by size. You'll see where your space is going.

Also don't forget that on MBPs OSX uses local backups, versions and a sleepimage file all of which will consume space.

3. andrewhenders thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, the sleep image file is 16 gb . is that normal?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, since it matches how much RAM you have.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Go to About My Mac, click on Storage and report back what that lists. How much is under other? Your sleep file and mobile apps for iPhone/iPad (stored in iTunes) will be listed under this.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup and if you don't want it issue this command from the terminal
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and then delete with the following command
    sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

or reboot the computer, I believe the sleep image file should be zeroed out at that point.