Issues with restarts after install of SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karstenhorn, Jul 10, 2014.

1. karstenhorn macrumors newbie

Hello all

I have just installed a new SSD in my 2011 MBP 17" and everything is absolutely perfect apart from the fact that when I do a restart, it ends up with a blinking folder sign with a big ? inside. I'm aware that it indicates that it can't find my start-up disk but if I do a start from turned off, there is no issues at all - Any ideasto what could be wrong and how I solve it?

The HD I installed is a Kingston ssdNOW 300 240 GB and I used CCC to clone my old HD.

Any help would be very much appreciated and thanks for the best Apple forum :)

Kind regards
    Karsten

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Go to System Preferences and select the SSD as your startup disk.

Attached Files:

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Did you select the correct boot device after you installed the SSD?
    System Preferences -> Startup Disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10603

Edit: hamiltonDSi posted the same thing while I was finding the link.

4. karstenhorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice and yes I have tried to do that several times without removing the issue. The issue is only there when I chose "Restart", if I go from turned off to on - It starts absolutely perfect. "Hibernate" is also working perfectly.

I have also tried the resetting of the NVRAM without resolving the issue :(

Kind Regards
    Karsten

5. karstenhorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello

Nobody here who might have a solution to my problem - Could it by any means, be a firmware problem in my new SSD?

Kind regards
    Karsten

6. alex0002 macrumors 6502

You could have a firmware problem. The early releases of the Crucial M500 had a bootup problem with some Mac models, but at least with the MacBook Pro, that seems to have been fixed with the first firmware update.

Do Kingston have a user forum for their SSD users?
    It might pay to have a look there and see if others have had the same problem.

7. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Karsten, I had the exact SSD like you in my previous 13" Late 2011 Macbook Pro.
    I had no problem with it so I'm thinking its related to OS X or CCC rather than the SSD's firmware.

8. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Did you replace the existing drive or install the SSD into the optical bay? 15' and 17" 2011 MBP's have known issues with SATA III drives in the optical bay. If this applies to you, move the SSD to the main drive bay and original HDD to the optical bay.

9. karstenhorn thread starter macrumors newbie

I do still have my super drive and I simply replaced the old HD after I had cloned the new SSD via CCC.

Next step is a clean install I think :(

Kind regards
    Karsten