Issues with sound on a Power Mac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by heydrinks, Jan 3, 2012.

1. heydrinks macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have recently been given a Power Mac G5 (CPU Type: PowerPC G5 2.2 / 2 CPUs / CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz / L2 cache per CPU: 512 KB / Memory: 768 MB / Bus Speed: 900 MHz )which I am planning to use to run Garageband. I am having issues with the sound coming directly from the G5. It is coming out distorted on both the speakers and the headphone jack from the unit. I've heard this is common in this model. What are the fixes, if any, to this issue? Thank you for any and all suggestions and answers.

heydrinks

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have heard of people booting off of the install dvd and open up disk utility. They ran Disk Repair, and then Repair Permissions. Worth a shot.

3. heydrinks thread starter macrumors newbie

was hoping for something a bit less involved but i may give that a shot if no other solutions are brought forward...Thank you for the reply.

4. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

It's really not nearly as involved as it sounds. put the disc in, hold "c" until it boots from the disc, go to utilities, disk manager, repair permissions. I don't really see how this would solve your problem though unless there is something wrong with the kext for the sound card. It sounds more like a problem with the actual sound card (read motherboard replacement or external sound card). Doesm't hurt to rule out software problems first though. If you have the gray discs, try running apple hardware test.