Issues with the new MacBook and LG Ultrafine display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fireball Dragon, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

So I've been having a few issues with the new LG display when connected to my new 15" MBP.

Just this morning, I opened my MacBook and the LG display wouldn't turn on. Had to restart.

Is it okay to leave my MacBook connected to the monitor overnight? It is a power supply source, too.

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I have the same problem with my Samsung U28E590D, which is connected via a USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable (i.e. power and USB hub are separately connected).

I think clamshell mode is to blame. The procedure that seems to be working, is:
    - With display disconnected, open MacBook and log in
    - Connect display
    - Close lid and go on working
    - End of the day, open lid
    - Disconnect display
    - Close lid and go home

3. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I was using clamshell mode, but rearranged my workspace as it was proving to be quite a waste of a potential second monitor with the MacBook. There were some niggles with clamshell mode as a whole.

My concern this morning was opening the MacBook (which was connected to the external monitor), expecting it to turn on. Unfortunately, only the MacBook screen came on.

Does anyone know if there is a logical process to turning off / turning on a MacBook connected to an external display?

For example, put the Mac to sleep, then close the MacBook lid? Or simply just close the lid and allow that to power off the external display?

And for waking up, open the MacBook lid? Or just wake by bluetooth keyboard?