Issues with Time Capsule & Arris TG862 Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pixiedusted, Jul 1, 2017.

1. pixiedusted macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope someone out there more knowledgable than I am can help me. (I am really quite lost when it comes to ethernet/LAN, and settings.

I have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) for my internet, cable & phone service and have their Arris TG862 modem.

I purchased a new Macbook Pro in November. Decided it was time to finally back it up to the Time Capsule (purchased in December.) I was able to back it up on June 18 through June 20, but now neither my Macbook Pro or my desktop iMAC can connect to the Time Capsule at all.

Apple told me I need to ask Spectrum to disable the router in the Arris TG862 (they're telling me it's both a router and a modem) but Spectrum is acting like that isn't the problem.

Any suggestions? I would REALLY like to be able to use the TC for back up.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Apple told me I need to ask Spectrum to disable the router in the Arris TG862 (they're telling me it's both a router and a modem)"

They're telling you right.
    The Arris is both "a modem" and "a router" -combined- into a single unit. This combo is generally referred to as a "residential gateway".

I don't know much about Time Capsules, but it is a router, too, correct? (Airport Extreme with a hard drive?)

With the TC "in the mix", you've got two routers back-to-back.

The first thing you might try is powering everything down (remove the wall plugs) and then power back up. Sometimes this actually resolves and resets things. One never knows until one tries it.

Other than that, you could do either of the following:
    - disable the Arris' router by putting it into bridge mode
    or
    - disable the Time Capsule's routing features by putting IT into bridge mode.

I, too, have a residential gateway (combined modem and router).
    With my Airport Extreme, I used Airport Utility to put it into bridge mode and left the gateway alone. It's worked well in that setup for 7 years.

I just recently got a Linksys Velop "mesh" system, and got that running.
    For the moment, it's NOT in bridge mode, but it seems to be co-existing with the gateway.

3. pixiedusted thread starter macrumors newbie

4. pixiedusted thread starter macrumors newbie