Issues with Time Capsule backing up.. iMac keeps freezing..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prominence, Mar 12, 2008.

1. prominence macrumors regular

I have an Intel iMac 2.8 Extreme and every time I try to back it up wirelessly it freezes completely and I have to do a hard restart. It has yet to do it's initial backup of about 55 GB, but I don't care how long it takes wirelessly, I just want it to do it!

It has backed up my MBA - 20 GB - fine, wirelessly, but it freezes up the iMac for hours on end, and the only way to get it to unfreeze is to hold the button behind the imac and do a hard restart, which isn't healthy for me imac. :(

Any advice? I'm going to try connecting the time capsule via ethernet tonight and see if I can back it up that way initially then see if it will start backing up wirelessly without freezing.. we shall see.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's obviously the iMac and not TC if you get no issues with your AIR using TC. Try repairing permissions or resetting PRAM. If you are still having issues with your iMac crashing while using TC wirelessly then I would suggest doing an Archive and Install which will replace your system folder while retaining your settings and programs.

3. SPQR macrumors newbie

I have similar problem - my iMac freezes when backing up to TC over air or via ethernet. However the iMac is fine when using Time Machine to a firewire LaCie drive. I have two of the family's MacBook Pro's successfully using the TC but the third also hangs. That MBP will backup to an external USB drive without a problem. I've done all the usual reset pram, repair permissions voodoo, disabled screen-saver, spotlight, but cannot get either of these two machines to backup to the TC. Any sensible suggestions?