Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hello,

I searched and tried to find answers to my issues. Basically I have had the following torrent problems:

1) UTorrent beta - files do not download even though my port if open (any suggestions)?

2) Transmission & Vuze - files download but do not seed/upload...any ideas?

I might be missing something with these applications. I had uttorent for windows for a few years and that worked great. I think this has something to do with private torrents/trackers.....The only site I use that doesn't work is private..I dunno

Any help would be appreciated.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i daresay you still have some settings wrong!!

uumm if your ports are open and your sure, it would be a setting. normally those programs can find a work around anyways.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I use transmission now, but on windows i used Azureus. One setting that i always use is Ignore Unencrypted peers.

this helps is your isp blocks torrent traffic, and for me it makes my seeding and UL much faster, whcih in turn boosts yoru DL.

Hope you find an answer that will work for you,

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
transmission downloads are fast when I'm not getting the torrent from a private tracker/site..

i'm looking for a good tutorial on how to configure either utorrent or transmission..googled and can't seem to find one.

I must have a setting wrong somewhere.

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I think i need to forward my port when using transmission - any help on this would be appreciated.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Port forwarding is an absolute must with any torrent application, but you should also know that there are a few bugs with uTorrent Beta. One big issue is that you cannot always download portions of a torrent (e.g. 1 file out of 3). Sometimes, the download will stop entirely and you may receive the message 'out of space on startup disk'. This happens rather sporadically, so it may or may not be the cause of your problems. I would expect that this bug is going to be fixed in the near future, though.

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Port forwarding is an absolute must with any torrent application, but you should also know that there are a few bugs with uTorrent Beta. One big issue is that you cannot always download portions of a torrent (e.g. 1 file out of 3). Sometimes, the download will stop entirely and you may receive the message 'out of space on startup disk'. This happens rather sporadically, so it may or may not be the cause of your problems. I would expect that this bug is going to be fixed in the near future, though.

I did it for windows fine but mac has been slightly problematic...I'm using transmission now...do you need to set up a static IP address in order to forward the port through your router?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I did it for windows fine but mac has been slightly problematic...I'm using transmission now...do you need to set up a static IP address in order to forward the port through your router?

no any IP will do, port are universal and run on all IP addresses regardless of the nature of the IP.

i port forwarded through my airport, then automatically mapped the port in tranmission.

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
no any IP will do, port are universal and run on all IP addresses regardless of the nature of the IP.

i port forwarded through my airport, then automatically mapped the port in tranmission.

How would I do this? I'm using port 51413 right now and getting really slow speeds if at all.

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
in the network tab in transmission have you put that 51413 port number into the top text box???

it's already in there and says 'port closed', so i'm thinking it's gotta be something in system preferences->network-> airport

No one know how to do this?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
it's already in there and says 'port closed', so i'm thinking it's gotta be something in system preferences->network-> airport

No one know how to do this?

mine says that too, but it works at full speeds :) it will occasionally change to "open", i have no idea why its not fully correct.
did you allow the port via your AirPort or via your modem?

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
mine says that too, but it works at full speeds :) it will occasionally change to "open", i have no idea why its not fully correct.
did you allow the port via your AirPort or via your modem?

i've allowed transmission to connect via systems prefs->security->firewall->transmission->allow incoming connections

As far as network->aiport goes....I'm not exactly sure what I need to do here..any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.