Issues with trackpad haptic feedback

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

The haptic feedback started feeling weaker all of a sudden on the mbp. Tried adjusting settings, restarting, resetting etc. Made no difference. Anyone else had this issue?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

It is meant to feel like a substantial click even when you can't hear the clicking sound (for example when playing loud music) right? When I can't hear the click, it feels too light to feel like a click. And I'm sure this only started happening earlier.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The sound probably does affect how strongly we experience the click. I haven't noticed any difference in how it feels over time.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

But when you can't hear the sound, for example when playing loud music, you can still feel a substantial click right?

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yes, I can still feel it.

7. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

And it feels like a proper click right? Not a tiny little feedback.

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yes, feels the same, like a proper click on my older MBP.

9. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Sorry, never heard of this either. Have you tried the different settings on the haptic? Not saying you are crazy, just suggesting that it might "reset" whatever you are experiencing. Or it might remind you of what light vs. strong feedback is? Just a suggestion. Throwing darts.

10. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Already tried it.

11. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

Not directly relatable, but I had an iPhone 7 from launch day, and the home button had weak haptic vibration and also the force touch didn't feel strong at all.

Went into the Apple store and they exchanged it for no charge.

Maybe there's something wrong with your device's haptic motor.

12. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Maybe this is the best idea. Go into an Apple store (hopefully nearby), try it against the floor models. If it is weaker at same setting, than something is faulty. Get an exchange right there. Don't forget to backup in case you do exchange.

13. Saznizam macrumors newbie

Saznizam

I'm having a similar issue with my MBP (TouchBar) 13" 2017. It was feeling weak a few days before it suddenly wasn't working.

It would OCCASIONALLY work out of the blue, but then go away again. Tried resetting NVRAM which made the haptic feedback work, but only for awhile, after which the haptic feedback dies again.

Still trying to self-diagnose this problem before bringing it into the store.