Issues with Typing on Macbook Air- Mid 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nu11, Apr 12, 2015.

1. nu11, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

nu11 macrumors newbie

Hello,

This afternoon the keys v, f, r, 4, ], and the return key on my MacBook air (Mid 2012, 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor) stopped working properly. When pressed, these keys sometimes produce nothing and at other times produce a group of seemingly random letters. Pressing the v key multiple times minimizes the window I am currently working in. Pressing the return key sometimes deletes the text I have written. In addition, the character g is spontaneously produced when I am trying to type without my touching the g key.

This problem appeared to have begun randomly. I used the computer in the morning with no problems. When I used the computer again in the afternoon, the keys no longer worked as they normally do. Nothing abnormal happened to it between those two times.

I verified and repaired the disk and its permissions using disk utility after I noticed the problem. Nothing changed after the repair and restart. I also updated my operating system to the newest update in the app store and restarted, but nothing changed.

What else can I try to solve this problem, other than sending the MacBook air out for repair?

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Weird problem. Maybe some liquid damage to some of the keyboard wiring/circuitry?

Can you try a hard power off by holding the power button down until the machine turns off and then turn it back on again?

3. nu11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I performed the hard power off and restart. The problem persists.

I also tried changing the input source of the keyboard back and forth to another language in system preferences. None of the keys feel damaged or different. I detached and reattached the r key from the keyboard as well, and i didnt see any damage.

No liquid was spilled on the keyboard to my knowledge.

I will include some examples what happens when i press the r, f, and v keys below:

R: IOUY
    f:˙∆˚¬ads
    V:cxz

Pressing the ] key sometimes functions as the back button as well as producing random characters.

4. dyt1983, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.

5. Airboy1466, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

I would say use an external keyboard see if problem still occurs but if your still in apple care then i would just send in for a repair cause if apple repairs it will be around $300 out of warranty

6. nu11 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem persists in recovery mode too. I was worried that my malfunctioning r key would make it difficult to boot into recovery mode, but i got it on the first try.

An external keyboard does solve the problem, but I don't have one to keep for myself. If someone had to guess, would you say the whole keyboard needs to be replaced, or might there be other parts that need to be replace as well? I found some guides that show how to take the macbook air apart, and i am trying to decide whether or not i can buy the parts and replace it / them myself.

Thanks for everyone's help