Issues with using second display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by geachy92, May 1, 2016.

1. geachy92 macrumors regular

I recently picked up the m5 model and have been extremely pleased with it so far, until today. I had the rMB streaming a football (or soccer) game whilst connected to a 1080p TV and the stream was unable to play without stuttering. I closed all other open applications and any unnecessary tabs in Safari and it was still stuttering. I took it further and adjusted the display resolution on my MB to make it less taxing on the GPU and downgraded the output to the TV to 720p and it still stuttered.

Getting fed up I cracked out my 2010 13" MPB and it plays the stream much more smoothly.

So it got me wondering, does anyone else have issues with the MB in similar circumstances? I really wanted to keep this machine, but told myself I'd trial it for two weeks first and see if it ran into any walls. And it seems like I've found the deal breaker for what I'd use it for. If it can't do a task that my 6-year-old ageing wreck of a Pro can, it really won't do.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. rixard macrumors member

rixard

Perhaps it's an issue with wi-fi connectivity near your television set. Could you stream it without stuttering on the internal display only?

4. geachy92 thread starter macrumors regular

The MB display on its own still had some stuttering issues but would settle down after a couple of minutes. Connected it back up and then it started stuttering again. Nothing to do with my WiFI, the box is very close by.