Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FWRN

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hello, I made sure to research before I post and I couldn't find an answer.

Here is the break down, iPhone 3GS, has the week 44 serial (I believe), had iOS 5.0.1. I tried to jailbreak it via redsn0w (and installed the iPad baseband) (redsn0w was the latest version) and here is where the issue began:

It shows the Apple logo, freezes, does nothing. After doing the power+home button combo to restart it several times, it remains the same. Sometimes, I am lucky and it boots up but when it does, it stays on the home screen for a bit, then reboots again and stays on the Apple logo.

Here is the steps I took:
-Attempted to boot into recovery (via TinyUmbrella) = booted in to recovery once but couldn't restore the iOS due to error 11 (I'm trying to restore it back to 5.0.1 with the saved SHSH blobs I have).
-Attempted to boot into DFU mode = It worked once when I did the jailbreak, afterwards it wouldn't go into it.
-Multiple Restarts via Home+Power

I need to get this fixed as soon as I can and I need help very badly.

Thank you.

iSR5

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Here is the break down, iPhone 3GS, has the week 44 serial (I believe), had iOS 5.0.1. I tried to jailbreak it via redsn0w (and installed the iPad baseband) (redsn0w was the latest version) and here is where the issue began:

You cannot use iPad baseband on iPhone!
that'll destroy your iPhone.
When people use this trick, apple updated the iOS and solved this bug, which means that if you use this trick with iOS 5x your iDevice will be no longer working at all!
and if does, you'll have no baseband,which will be a serious problem to your iDevice.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I hope this iPhone isn't someone's "lifeline". You should always double and triple check your info before doing something like this to someone else's iPhone.

FWRN

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just out of curiousity: why would you use the iPad baseband on an iPhone? They don't use the same baseband firmware at all...

It had baseband that wasn't supported to be unlocked (originally, that's all I needed to do with this iPhone, jailbreak+unlock), out of the 20 iPhone's I had jailbroken and unlocked, this is the first one that had issues.

FWRN

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So I tried to restore it to 5.1.1. It got to 100% done then an error message came up with code -1. I managed to get it out of the recovery but now still stuck with the same boot loop.

iSR5

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Is that on the logic board? Would it be easier to replace the logic board to fix it?

Buy a new iPhone. it's not easy to replace the logic board.
you've to be expert to do that :eek:

Goodluck mate ..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is that on the logic board? Would it be easier to replace the logic board to fix it?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the logic board.
But if it's still under warranty and it should be you can try bringing it to Apple and get it replaced.
And next time before you attempt installing the iPad bb on any 3GS make sure it's not made any time after week 27 of 2011.

FWRN

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, I checked with Apple and it's not under warranty. Time to cough up $200 to replace his iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.