iStat Alternative for Mavericks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleGoat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I know this question has been asked before, but is there a good iStat (free) alternative out there for Mavericks? Right now, MenuMeters is not supported on Mavericks. Thx

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

MenuMeters. I've been using MenuMeters since day one of Mavericks, it works just fine.

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh thanks! My bad, I got it to work. I didn't know I had to go to System Preferences to get it up and running.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So what's wrong with paying for good software?

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Not to hijack this thread, but how do you all like iStat menus? I tried it years and years ago but really didn't like UI, but I think it's gotten a lot better. Complaint tempted to try it out but I've got a 10+ year loyalty to MenuMeters going here. ;)

P.S. 500th post yay!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think the UI has changed much over the years. Pretty much the same color schemes and designs. If you didn't like it before, I don't think you'll like it now.

PS: Congrats! Now add that avatar!

7. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that I have MenuMeters up and running, I like the iStat interface considerably better. If I weren't so straitened, I would have bought iStats -- I probably still will.

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Just tried iStat Menus for the first time in years and wow! I think I might switch from MenuMeters.

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Thanks! Got one! I think MR's avatars are hardest to acquire of any forum I've ever used, kind of cool that way.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's good to hear. Perhaps since I've been using it the whole time I didn't notice any changes.

Anyways I quite enjoy using it and to me it's worth it. Good information.

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I thought such apps are a waste of time. Not?

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

As in...? I mean many people won't have a need for them. For me it's ingrained after using them for years. It's how I know if my download is going fast, the speed of a file copy with my NAS box, computer uptime, how much CPU power an app is using, get my local IP etc., all of those I can see at a glance and I use all the time and I'm sure I'll find more I can't live without now that I'm using iStat Menus. If I don't have one installed I still keep looking at the menubar for them and it drives me crazy.

13. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

if you can get your hands on the older version stat pro its a much nicer widget than the new stat nano and its free, true, you won't see it on your menu bar but it's all right there in the dashboard.. :D

14. buddyspencer macrumors regular

So what about MenuMeters and problems with Mavericks? Some people say it has problems... Is it true?

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Did the dashboard app vanish completely or is it now part of iStat menus?

$16 seems a tad expensive to me... feels more like a 2.99-4.99 app. Although I don't know what the "menu" part can do, so maybe that's worth it?

I think I once tried to read out the temperature information from OSX (i.e. using the API), turned out to be quite difficult ;)

16. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

In the current version, the menu bar version provides a lot of information, customization, and even the ability to pile items in a "combined" item to save some screen real estate. I recently switched from the (now-discontinued) widget version and really enjoy it.

It might seem a bit overpriced, but it seems to be well-supported, resource-friendly, and will waste a good hour or so of your time trying to configure it just the way you like.