Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I have an iMac mid 2011. replaced the HDD with Samsung Evo 840 and removed the DVD and replaced with an OptiBay with an OCZ Vertex 4
After installing Yosemite and updating istat menu my iMac started to do sudden shutdowns or restarts. I am also using HDD fan control to fix the fan speed on the main SSD.

Everything worked nice under Yosemite beta but now I am seeing this issue.

I tried resetting the PRam and the SMC and nothing.
This issue replicates very random.

I checked the RAM errors with AHT and there is no issue there.

I uninstalled iStat menu and everything works fine for now but I was wondering if anyone has similar issues.

I googled this issue and I've seen similar reports on Mavericks but to me it started with Yosemite and iStat menu.
Maybe it is a coincidence ... I don't know..

Last edited:

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
No issue on my Mac. Anyway, which version you installed. 5.03?

Started with 5.02 and then updated to 5.03
It may be something else. It can be a coincidence.
Maybe something is getting broken on my iMac.... I hope not....

Could be the SMC...

I wanted to see if this happens to others too...

My next move is to do a clean install of Yosemite and Pray to God it will be fine.

I hate these things - I lost a MBP 17 inch 2011 to a faulty GPU which funnily happened after Mavericks was released.

I don't want to loose the my iMac after Yosemite is released. :)

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
http://bjango.com/contact/ why ask here and not ask the creators?

I will do that - after I do some more testing to see if a clean install and running without iStat Menu will repeat the error.

Then, I will submit feedback there and ask for help.

My intention was to ask anyone if they have similar issue.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When I install Yosemite, it gave me a warning that iStat Menus is incompatible to Yosemite. Perhaps its the version I'm on, but clearly 10.10 didn't like the fact I was using the app. I'd look at the bjango site to see if there's any new versions.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
When I install Yosemite, it gave me a warning that iStat Menus is incompatible to Yosemite. Perhaps its the version I'm on, but clearly 10.10 didn't like the fact I was using the app. I'd look at the bjango site to see if there's any new versions.

I am on version 4.22 still. I didn't get any warnings on the rMBP, or the nMP, and it works on both without any issues.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
For your info, both 5.02 and 5.03 works well under Yosemite on my Mac Pro.

Well it worked well on my iMac too and I never got any warnings or anything.

I usually set the fans a little bit higher than default because of the issues iMac Mid 2011 have with GPU and I want to have it as cool as possible.

It started all of a sudden: I worked on the iMac and in the middle of everything it reboots.
When it reboots for like a few seconds there is a flicker on the screen - which somehow prompts me to believe there might be an issue with the display panel or the GPU card.

Nevertheless - I haven't had this experience while on Betas until the final Yosemite shipped and i updated iStat to version 5.02.

Then it started.
Again - this may be a HW issue - so I need to run some more tests.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.