Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
USA
This "coming soon" crap is getting old. As a developer, they should have had access to SL betas and had a version ready. What does coming soon mean? I don't see where they even give the option for them to contact you when they have something.

ir0n

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Well they are developing a free application so I guess there is nothing bad I can say about them, I'm not paying them so the is no reason to complain.

They have released private beta and they are distributing it to selected testers. I never understood the idea of closed beta but its their choice.
Anyway I would like to get the link to their beta and I wish someone could share the link with us. I know people got the link ;)

Highland

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2003
Australia
Snow Leopard's release was about a month earlier than the rumours/speculation/initial comments made by Apple. That caught us a little off guard. We've been working on iStat Menus 2.0 for quite some time (yes, we have had access to the SL betas and have been using them for testing for months).

iStat Menus 2.0 isn't just a Snow Leopard compatibility update, it's the biggest update iStat Menus has seen ever. So please be a little patient—Snow Leopard was only released 3 days ago.

I can give you some info about iStat Menus 2.0: It's in private testing now and there's close to 0 known issues. We're just finishing the app, much better documentation than we've ever had before, plus all the other things that go along with a release like this (web pages etc).

Please keep in mind that our team is tiny, we have around 15 projects we're managing and iStat Menus is free (well, donation-ware).

What does coming soon mean?
It means we'll release this week, all going well.

I don't see where they even give the option for them to contact you when they have something.
The contact section on our website has an email form and link to our Get Satisfaction page. We also have a Twitter link in the footer and on other pages of our website. We're VERY easy contact!

They have released private beta and they are distributing it to selected testers. I never understood the idea of closed beta but its their choice.
Closed beta = Gives you direct contact with a smaller group of users. It has also let us keep some secrets about the release.

It's not always the right choice (we've done private and public betas in the past), but we've been happy with the results this time. Should make for a solid 2.0 release.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Thank you for sharing that with us, Highland. It is a great free product and I look forward to getting my hands on 2.0. I appreciate you giving us this update.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Thank you for your hard efforts and getting the update out quickly. It's greatly appreciated.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I kind of think it's lame to complain about a free utility not being ready for SL when it is as awesome (and useful) as iStat has been.

If this were something we pay for then I totally get, but this is free, give them a break.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i use iStat in my dashboard, as well as on iPhone. When the new iStat menu comes out, i will give it a shot.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Yes complaining about a FREE application not being updated a few days after SL has been released (a month early) is EXTREMELY LAME. Seriously BBOTTE, your sense of entitlement is nauseating.

To the iStat developers: keep up the great work, cant wait to try 2.0.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Snow Leopard's release was about a month earlier than the rumours/speculation/initial comments made by Apple. That caught us a little off guard. We've been working on iStat Menus 2.0 for quite some time (yes, we have had access to the SL betas and have been using them for testing for months).

iStat Menus 2.0 isn't just a Snow Leopard compatibility update, it's the biggest update iStat Menus has seen ever. So please be a little patient—Snow Leopard was only released 3 days ago.

I can give you some info about iStat Menus 2.0: It's in private testing now and there's close to 0 known issues. We're just finishing the app, much better documentation than we've ever had before, plus all the other things that go along with a release like this (web pages etc).

Please keep in mind that our team is tiny, we have around 15 projects we're managing and iStat Menus is free (well, donation-ware).

It means we'll release this week, all going well.

The contact section on our website has an email form and link to our Get Satisfaction page. We also have a Twitter link in the footer and on other pages of our website. We're VERY easy contact!

Closed beta = Gives you direct contact with a smaller group of users. It has also let us keep some secrets about the release.

It's not always the right choice (we've done private and public betas in the past), but we've been happy with the results this time. Should make for a solid 2.0 release.

Thank you so much for the update. This is probably one of the most useful programs I have ever used and really should be an integral part of OSX. Keep up the fantastic work and we'll all be a little more patient. The fact that so many people have complained about the incompatibility of istat on SL shows how important this program is to many people, althought they are going about it the wrong way. Can't wait to try 2.0.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Given the supposed feature increase in 2.0, I just selfishly hope the price point (free) remains unchanged. I've been bummed when other previously free apps and utilities that I have become fond of using have began charging with the SL release and hope this isn't another one.

jmb667

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Philomath, OR, USA
Given the supposed feature increase in 2.0, I just selfishly hope the price point (free) remains unchanged. I've been bummed when other previously free apps and utilities that I have become fond of using have began charging with the SL release and hope this isn't another one.

Honestly, if they did, I'd pay for it. It's a fantastic application, and developers need to pay their bills, too; it's their prerogative to charge for an application that they work diligently on and spend their own resources on.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Honestly, if they did, I'd pay for it. It's a fantastic application, and developers need to pay their bills, too; it's their prerogative to charge for an application that they work diligently on and spend their own resources on.

I don't disagree it is their right, prerogative, etc. I am just stating - admittedly for very selfish reasons - that it is nice to not have to pay for apps or utilities which had always been free and I have grown accustomed to using and like, when upgrading to a new OS. It's not just charging an upgrade path on a major release or seeking to change it to a paying app in the middle of an OS release where those who used it for free can continue to do so and make the decision later on whether or not to stick around.

An app (which I shall not name but which I used daily) recently went from free to pay in order to get the SL compatible version. Having no warning that this was coming, it caught me quite off guard and I am unsure whether I will pay for it on SL. Of course the developer has a right to charge and earn money; I don't begrudge this at all. But it is sometimes weird when something which used to be free now comes with a charge attached (with largely the same functionality) and we're compelled to pay in order to use it on a new OS. I was just hoping iStat menus stays free and wondered if anyone knew the answer?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland

I use the iStat widget all the time. Great program and at a great price :)

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I have bought thier iPhone app and donated money to the developer, and will again when 2.0 is published. All of you can zip it, I'm just sick of hearing "coming soon" it's becoming a habit in the mac community, every company is starting to leave stuff open ended. I wouldn't have been as apprehensive if they would have put "coming in 2 weeks" and even given themselves another week to work it out....

Just sayin', again I'm tired of hearing "Coming soon".

Thanks for the response Highland. Now back to work on iStat menus, it's the only program that didn't work on my mac for SL. :) I miss it badly!

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
'coming soon' is better than posting a deadline date and something comes up that cannot be met. then you're gonna open a thread saying they dont keep their words. istat has been a well known app and infact works wonderful. you are receiving it for free and donating is completely up to you. give the developer some time instead of complaining. im sure we are all waiting for the same thing and is anxious to use ever since SL has been released, but complaining isnt really going to help make the process faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.