iStat Menus 3.0 Battery meter not accurate?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Sep 16, 2010.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I just upgraded to iStat Menus 3.0, and was trying to use the new Battery meter. I was running on Battery when I installed it, and I was comparing it to the Apple meter to make sure it matched, and the % and time remaining was identical. Then I plugged my MacBook in, and iStat said it had like 3:00 hours remaining to a full charge, and the Apple meter said like 1:48. I let it discharge completely thinking that might help, but its still messed up. Right now iStat says 2:03 remaining, and Apple says 1:05. Both of the percentages are at 77%. Anyone else having this problem, or know how to fix it? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Did you even read my post?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course I did. Did you read the FAQ?

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I did, and it still doesn't help me. The problem is not with the battery, the problem is that iStat and Apple both display different times to charge the battery. Apples is accurate, but iStat is not. I assume they are both probing using the same API (or whatever you call it), so they should be the same. The estimated time remaining is identical when draining, but over an hour off when charging.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What happens after you calibrate your battery?

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just installed iStat 3 last night, I haven't calibrated the battery yet, but your still not quite understanding. The battery IS reporting the charge correctly since the Apple meter is accurate, the problem is with iStat, NOT the battery.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm understanding perfectly. If you haven't calibrated, you have no idea whether the reporting is accurate, whether reported by the Mac or by iStat Pro. That's the point of calibrating.

9. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I do, because when the Apple meter says it has 1 hour left to charge, or drain that is about how long it takes. Hence it is accurate.

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is nobody using iStat Menus 3, or have any ideas?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's the point of offering ideas, when you reject the ones given?

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I use iStat Menus 3 and have the following times reported:
    [​IMG]

I calibrated the battery though, many times, as I have an older model and 132 cycles with 98% health on my 2009 MBP.

Though I also get this discrepancy reported sometimes.
    [​IMG]

13. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I reject the ones given because they don't address the problem for the 4th time. The battery IS reporting it's charge correctly or the Apple meter would be way off, and it is not. I will try calibrating the battery when I get the time, but I doubt it will fix it.

Im not trying to argue, and Im sorry if it seems that way, It's just that I really don't think calibrating the battery will help since the reporting problem is just with iStat, and not the built in meter. If the battery calibration was off the Apple meter would show the wrong time as well. Not to mention that the time for discharging would probably be off too, and it is not, just the time for charging.

EDIT: Actually I have calibrated the battery through regular use a few times recently. I have left it on overnight which drained the battery, and it has sat drained for at least 5 hours before I plugged it back in.

That is showing time remaining till the battery is drained. My problem is that iStat is not correctly reporting the time till the battery is fully charged when the power is plugged in. As for your discrepancy, a Minute is not much. :)

14. Jay2k1, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

Jay2k1 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and found this thread via google.

I didn't test the behaviour while running from battery, but I noticed that the iStat "remaining charge time" was displayed about twice as high as the Apple built-in:

[​IMG]

This is weird, I wonder how Bjango calculates the remaining charge time.

EDIT: Bjango (the developer of iStat) responded on Twitter: