Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bjango

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2011
Hi all! Yep, El Capitan makes some interesting changes that affect iStat Menus.

We use Menucracker for our menubar items. This allows iStat Menus’ icons to be reordered and has other benefits, but Menucracker isn’t working in the current OS X 10.11 beta. We think that situation isn’t likely to change in future betas or the release version of OS X 10.11.

We’re not entirely sure what the final solution will be, but we’ve made a bit of progress already. The most we can say at this point is that we are definitely aware of the issue and will release an iStat Menus beta or update as soon as possible. I am not yet sure exactly when that will be though.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Will it be a free upgrade for existing users? I won't lie, but I got a bit annoyed having to pay again to go from 3>5 when 3 broke due to OS X changes.

Bjango

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2011
Will it be a free upgrade for existing users? I won't lie, but I got a bit annoyed having to pay again to go from 3>5 when 3 broke due to OS X changes.
Yes, it will be a free update.

We only charge for major updates. Major updates are roughly every two years, and they come with new features. We definitely don’t mind if anyone uses an older version of iStat Menus indefinitely, but we have no control over how it’ll run on future OSs.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Thanks for the info, looking forward to a future beta.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
They're not gonna make you pay for this one. They're not crazy. We just paid for an update! :)

alvarnell

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Mountain View, CA
If any of my apps need a paid update to work, El Capitan can kiss my a**
Most of the ones that will need big updates use hacks (e.g. menucracker) which have long been discouraged by Apple and are finally being forced out. I would expect that many apps which have been following the rules will be just fine or have minor tweaks to take advantage of some OS X improvements.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Dang I love me some iStat menu.

how is everything else?
Well for one I can't print at all and still haven't gotten that fixed! Logmein client doesn't work and had to re-install Google Chrome. That's my two cents so far.

-Mike

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I'm having a fair amount of iCloud bugs and such, but generally this is a stable DP1.

Bjango

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2011
Update: We have lots of stuff working, but we don’t have a beta for everyone to use just yet. Please follow @Bjango on Twitter if you’d like to be the first to know when we do. (I’ll also try to remember to post here!)

Bjango

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2011
Agreed, though my Memory reading is constantly at 17%... are you experiencing this as well? The CPU, disk, and network readings are all fine.
Memory Pressure? That seems pretty normal? Or has it never changed, even after a restart?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Beta ppears to be completely broken here, on a fresh install. Every time launch asks to install helpers, and nothing gets displayed on menu bar after setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.