iStat menus problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Simn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Simn macrumors newbie

I recently downloaded iStat menu, to easily monitor my cpu. By default it displays information on more than just the cpu, so I went to edit preferences, and I get an error message saying iStat menu quit unexpectedly. I am unable to open the application at all, and when I drag the application to the trash foldert to uninstall it, it removes the application but leaves the information in the menu bar. Has anybody seen this before? Or have any idea how to get rid of the stuff in the menu bar and/or delete the application?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Have you restarted your computer since you trashed the application?

1) Open Terminal and use this command: killall -KILL SystemUIServer

that basically kills/refreshes the menu bar if items crash or become unresponsive.

2) If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer.

3. Simn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the first thing I did was restart my computer. The terminal thing just restarted iStat menus, its still there and remains unresponsive.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Silly question, but have you deleted the trash yet?

If not, download an app such as AppCleaner to do a full uninstall.

If you have, I'm running out of ideas..hopefully someone else will jump in..

5. Simn thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded AppCleaner, like you said, and deleted iStat menus, however the stats in the menu bar remain, I'll restart my computer now and tell you if anything's changed.

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: After restarting, the statistics are still there.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That is really odd. Does the info in the menu bar respond when you click it, now that you've deleted the app?

If not, then I'm not sure..sounds like a menu bar malfunction (that I have no idea what to do with).

If so, I believe that would still indicate some stray files from the software still remain. It can't hurt to search your computer..In the search bar in Finder, try typing in "istat" and see if any files pop up. I know it's not a genius idea or anything, but hey, it can't hurt to just make sure there are no more files related to the software on your computer.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I figure two minds working on it is better than one, until someone perhaps more knowledgeable suggests something. And, this keeps the thread alive..

Let me know how it goes.

7. Simn thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Michaelgtrusa Suspended

Michaelgtrusa

Istat has several locations in on you're mac. You have to remove them all.