Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I’ve been using istat menus on my 16” to monitor temperature and dgpu power use. I planned to stop using it after I’m done with my testing phase, but I’ve found that I like having it there to quickly see if my dgpu is being used, and I’ve also found that I like the flexibility of its clock and battery menu bar icons over the built it ones from Apple.

My question is, is it a bad idea to leave this app running 24/7? Is it hogging resources? Does anyone leave istat on indefinitely?

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm in a similar situation as the OP and consider buying one of the many temperature checking apps out there. iStat Menus appears to do more in the menu-bar than other similar apps like displaying the clock and battery status -but is that enough of a reason to use it permanently? I'm trying to find a good reason to buy it ;)
Talking about buying.... why is it available on their website for a higher price than at the Mac app store? Are there any differences/disadvantages to buying the cheaper one?

Another thing: does anyone know if the license allows for installation on multiple computers (i.e. the same person's home computer and laptop)?

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
I used MenuMeters for years. It's free. I switched to iStat Menus eventually. It's slicker and has more options. I've been using it for years with no problems. It occasionally uses a lot of CPU (as it itself tells me) but just for a minute every few weeks or so.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
From https://bjango.com/help/istatmenus6/macappstore/

The Mac App Store version of iStat Menus is a little different to the version you can purchase and download from our website.
  • It currently does not contain weather information.
  • It can not control fan speeds.
  • It can not show CPU frequency.
  • The iStat Menus Helper is needed to view some stats.
Apart from those things, it’s the full iStat Menus.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Ah! I See. Then I'd go for the non-App store version.
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 11.58.09.png

As for the CPU frequency, the trial version tells me I have to download Intel power gadget, but a couple of the download links for different Mac versions don't work at the linked Intel page, and the one that does work complains, saying only 2nd generation CPUs are supported (whatever that means). I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro.
Anyone got that part working?
[automerge]1592475437[/automerge]
I used MenuMeters for years. It's free. I switched to iStat Menus eventually. It's slicker and has more options. I've been using it for years with no problems. It occasionally uses a lot of CPU (as it itself tells me) but just for a minute every few weeks or so.

Please tell more.
Is it when/if it checks for a new version, weather reporting (I won't be using this) or something else? If it uses a lot of CPU if even now and then it might interrupt other things the computer is doing, so it would be nice to know what it does, and if it's an option that can be turned off.
I plan to use it mostly to check CPU and graphic card (GPU) temperatures.

Last edited:

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
I don't know. It's rare, and not significant. I sometimes click on the CPU gauge, and it briefly shows iStat Menus at the top of the list, but then it drops down soon after. Maybe it's just seconds, not even a minute.
It's a good app. It shows a lot of detailed data in an unobtrusive way, and it's been reliable for me for many years.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Appears to be a nice app. I've considered TGpro (which is a little cheaper and looks great), but iStat Menus appears to be more useful in a general situation. Has anyone else here compared it with TGpro and can share their experiences?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Yes, I saw that, but wonder if it's legal or some sort of "warez" site?
It's legal, but read the Terms and Technical Details for every app. At iStat Menus there is mentioned:
How many computer every user can install this software on?
This License grants you the right to activate and use the Software on no more than 3 computers primarily used by you
NOTE: Your license Includes 6 month of weather data.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I think those are the standard license terms, but good to keep in mind in case for later.
Got it for 6 bucks! ? ?
Thanks for the suggestion, bogdanw.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Is this 6 dollar version the full version or is it limited like the Mac App Store version? Can you view processor speed via intel power gadget?

does it really come with multiple licenses to run on more than one computer? The bjango website charges 11.99 for a single license and 15.99 for multiple licenses. Is it equal to one of those options or different?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
does it really come with multiple licenses to run on more than one computer? The bjango website charges 11.99 for a single license and 15.99 for multiple licenses. Is it equal to one of those options or different?
The standard Bjango license allows installation on up to 3 computers if you're the primary user of all 3. I don't know about the bundle license. The App Store version would have different license terms.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Thanks

Just went for it, I was about to pay 16 bucks for the family pack, didn't realize the regular license covered 3 computers. $6 is a great deal. License key accepted, all good.

yellow_lupine

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
Can somebody tell me how iStat calculate the system total wattage?
There's something I don't understand.
Here is an example measurement, as reported by iStat for my MacBook Pro:

• Battery Current: 21,47W
• CPU Computing Highside: 9,02W
• CPU Package Core: 4,15W
• CPU Package GPU: 0,00W
• CPU Package Total: 5,13W
• DC In: 0,00W
• Radeon High Side: 4,10W
• System Total: 22,59W

If I am no wrong CPU Package Total includes CPU Package Core, doesn't it?
But what is CPU Computing Highside?

If I sum CPU Package Core with Radeon High Side I obtain 9,23, which is far less than what iStat reports as System Total.

More over, in the meantime Intel Power Gadget reports these values:

• PKG: 5,42
• CORE: 4,52
• DRAM: 1,20

Since PKG includes CORE I can sum PKG with DRAM and iStat Radeon High Side obtaining 10,72, again far less than iStat System Total o_O

Can somebody help me?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If I sum CPU Package Core with Radeon High Side I obtain 9,23, which is far less than what iStat reports as System Total.

System total will include things like RAM, screen, keyboard, trackpad, fans, board power, power supply inefficiency, etc. I believe it will be measured at the system power supply controller.

iStat can't measure everything, however the things it CAN measure it will present.

So you get CPU/GPU and total system power - but CPU+GPU for example isn't the full amount and not everything else can be broken out individually.

Intel power gadget won't measure non-intel things.

That's why it doesn't add up.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I can't see the CPU temperature under the sensors drop down. I'm on a 10th Gen MacBook Pro 2020 and I know it's new so there are posts saying not everything is available yet. But then I've seen screenshots in the MacBook Pro forum of people using 2020 MacBook Pros and they have the CPU temperature in it.

The only temperature I can see is the SSD which doesn't seem to change even when the MacBook is very hot. Is there any way I can see the CPU?

I bought my license directly from Bjango.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I can't see the CPU temperature under the sensors drop down. I'm on a 10th Gen MacBook Pro 2020 and I know it's new so there are posts saying not everything is available yet. But then I've seen screenshots in the MacBook Pro forum of people using 2020 MacBook Pros and they have the CPU temperature in it.

The only temperature I can see is the SSD which doesn't seem to change even when the MacBook is very hot. Is there any way I can see the CPU?

I bought my license directly from Bjango.
The 2020 compatible version is in beta. Email them.

joeriggs

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Will Istat menus show you the wattage or amps that a device connected to a MPB draws,
like a Raid or external hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.