iStat - Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cms2, Apr 23, 2008.

1. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Hello, everyone. I recently downloaded the iStat Pro widget for my MBP, and I was wondering what "normal" looks like. I have no idea if the stats I'm reading are normal or not, because I have no frame of reference. I'm especially concerned about temperature and battery life, but really any advice would be appreciated.

I'm running an MBP SR 2.2 C2D with 2 GB Ram.

iStat says that my CPU is running at 108 degrees (F) (49 degrees Celsius, for my international friends) and that my battery "health" :confused: is 77% with 247 "cycles."

I apologize in advance for my n00biness. :)

2. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

your laptop seems to be running a very nice temperature, especially compared to my laptop which is exactly the same as yours. My laptop seems to idle at 63 degree's which seems really high actually. Also battery health is bad, bring that battery back to apple and get it replaced.

3. cms2 thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

Well, I'm not using anything but Safari and Mail is on in the background. Maybe that's why it's cool.

Thanks for the tip on the battery. It'll have to wait 'till finals are over. I have barely even seen my wife all week. :(

4. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Thats the same with my laptop, Iv tried to get my absolute coolest temperature with nothing running and letting it sit and the best i can do is 57 degrees. My laptop runs pretty hot for some reason. And now actually its been peaking at 90 degrees and video at almost 100 degrees. Possibly the reason why my computer is acting weird and i need to take it in now.

5. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Looks like you are a little confused over the battery information. A brand new battery usually has 100% health (can hold all of its charge). Over time, the battery degrades and can't hold as much charge. 77% health means your battery can only hold 77% of its original charge. The battery is fully functional, just won't last as long as it used to.

Cycles is simply how many times the battery discharged & recharged.

6. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

alright let me clarify, 77% is to low of a health for a battery with only 250 odd cycles on it. Apple gave me a brand new battery free of charge on the spot with my 81% 278 cycle battery. It shouldn't be dropping that much until your at around the 500 cycle mark and even then, not 77%.

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Your temps are similar to mine, so I'd say they're normal!

8. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Before you stress about your battery health to much, reset it (there are instructions on the apple site). You basically run it down to nothing leave it along for several hours, then charge it all the way back to full. I have put as much at 8% back on my battery life with a full reset. (As an FYI my 3 year old PB G4 has 65% health and 170 cycles).

I have also found that my battery health last better when I actually work off of battery power from time to time (Rather then just run off of wall power all the time). Don't know why that is.

Good luck

9. cms2 thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

very helpful, all. Thanks. My GPU "Diode" runs considerably hotter than GPU. It's at 112F (49C). I guess it's all pretty much normal, except maybe for the battery. I've been noticing lately it doesn't hold its charge as long. I'm going to try that tip about running it down to reset it.

10. bart rijksen macrumors regular

About the battery health: Apple will replace the battery if you have 300 cycles, and less than 80% battery health

11. Sablet macrumors newbie

downloaded istat but wheres the option for the battery life? my macbook is new just wondering

12. kman79 macrumors regular

Have you tried conditioning the battery? I normally gain some health back after conditioning the battery.

13. Viremia macrumors regular

not necessarily

I had a battery with 33% health (only lasted 50 minutes) and only showing less than 50 cycles and was 1.5 years old. Guess what Apple did for me? Pointed toward the new batteries on the shelf and told me to buy one of those. Yes, BUY a new one. I called applecare (I purchased the extended warranty) and was told the same thing.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Thats not been my experience with MacBooks and MacBook Pros. They have a two year warranty extension program for those batteries, and if they aren't holding a charge and have less than 300 cycles they should be replacing them.

I have had two MacBook batteries replaced that way - one had just over 300 cycles and they still replaced it. Both systems were about the same age as yours - definitely past the one year warranty, and no Apple Care.

Maybe it only covers certain models, but these were original 2.0Ghz Core Duo MacBooks.

Here is the link:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/