iStat Pro gets stuck on first launch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpudGT, Nov 6, 2010.

1. SpudGT macrumors member

I recently put an OCZ Vertex 2 into my 13 inch MBP (2010). I ran into some issues when I cloned my HDD to the new SSD, so I just deleted the partition on my SSD and did a clean install.

I installed iStat Pro 4.92 and have been having problems when opening dashboard for the first time (first time after booting). iStat comes up quickly and then disappears ... my Mac is basically hung at this point. After 20 seconds or so iStat comes back and all is well. I have deleted and re-installed iStat with no improvement.

As I said I have a relatively fresh OS X install (now 10.6.4). Not sure if this issue happened right after installing iStat, or after I did a repair disk permissions (although I have no idea how that could cause this).

Anyone else encounter an issue like this?

2. stanfordb macrumors newbie

Some questions:

This "hang" only happens once, when you have the istats widget installed and active and the first time you open up dashboard after booting? (So no slowdown if istats is uninstalled, or installed and you leave dashboard unopened/unloaded)

So this slowdown should happen once more, if you launch terminal and run
    Code:
    killall Dock
    (quits and unloads dashboard too), and then open dashboard again.

Same happens, when you uncheck "SMART updates" @General and HDD @Sections in istats-preferences ("i")?

Any reference to the hang in console log?

PS: after googling, i guess disabling SMART is the key.

hope that helps

3. SpudGT thread starter macrumors member

Typing 'killall Dock' to quit and unload the dashboard does indeed cause iStat to hang when it reloads. No mention of trouble in the console log.

I only saw a reference to SMART on the iStat General preferences pane, but disabling it there seems to fix the issue!

Thanks for your help!