iSTAT PRO questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricecook, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

ok i still new to macs and i have question about the istat pro readings?

When i turn on my macbook and look at the istat pro i look at my rams status and theres about like 512mb free i only have 1gb ram for now..when i run other apps/ downloading it gose down to like 45 mb free then when I close all apps and just run 1 app the free space says like 150 mb free .. Shouldn't it like go back to like 480mb free space on the ram sense I'm only runnig one app.? Also what dose time/ time in on the airport card readings mean?

Thanks

2. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

One possible explanation is that you aren't really closing out the apps themselves. Make sure there are no dots underneath the dock icons for the apps you've closed, otherwise they're still open and using RAM.

When you want to close out an app, instead of just clicking the red button in the upper left corner, a faster way (and as a new user myself, I've latched on to doing this pretty quickly) is to just hit Command-Q and that will close the app.

Hope this helps,

-Bryan

3. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

I do that.. Also it says that theres like 250mb in the inactive what dose that mean? Also the airport time in/out?

Thanks

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You need to add the free and inactive RAM to get the total which is available for use.