iStat question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aodesigns, Apr 24, 2015.

1. aodesigns, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

aodesigns macrumors member

I have a 2015 13" rMBP i7/16/512 and noticed it gets quite hot when connected to my p2415Q 4K monitor with the rMBP display turned off. The palm rests get pretty warm and I can feel heat coming from the vents.

According to iStat Menus, with Spotify playing, Safari open and sublime text2 it's reading 48 for CPU proximity, 51 core1, 51 core2.

Anyway, it states the fan is at 0 rpm.

I was under the impression that the fan was running at a low state as soon as the machine is on? or is that incorrect? OR is iStat wrong?

EDIT: So it said the fans came on when temps got to 70c whilst scrolling through deviant art

2. netsped macrumors regular

You should try reinstalling iStat Menus. The fan is always on, it can't be at 0 rpm.

On my mid 2014 13" rMBP, the default speed is 1300 rpm.

Right now, I only have Mail, Safari and Fantastical 2 open. The fan speed is at 1300 rpm, the CPU Proximity temp is at 36ºC and the CPU (core 1 and 2) jumps between 37ºC and 42ºC every second.

I have it configured to show the CPU Proximity temp on my menubar because I think it's a more stable reading.

But yeah, I would try to reinstall the latest version of iStat, they need to add support for the latest models and they do that on the latest version of their software.

PS. I stopped using Spotify on my mac because the app uses a lot of CPU for what it does, I just play it on my iPhone o iPad instead.

3. aodesigns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, I thought it was always on, I had a split second "uh-oh, broken fans.." I'll reinstall the software anyway.

Off topic question for anyone that knows:

Apparently Creative Cloud process "Adobe CEF Helper" is using 15-18% CPU ? Is that normal? I have no CC apps running currently.

4. ragman macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I just purchased a mid-spec 13" 2015 MBP. Installed iStat Menus, like I do on all of my Macs - and I show a fan speed 0 rpm when starting up the machine or waking to from sleep. Have not yet tried to re-install iStat.

5. Jmill79 macrumors newbie

Brand new Macbook Pro 13. The only way I can get fan speed is to do a restart. But as soon as I pull the charger off I lose it again. I liked the old widget much better.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I also have the the 0 fan speed reading in iStat on my 2015 rMBP. However as soon as the temps ramp up I'll see iStat report the fans spinning up and increasing speed on their own.

BTW while the fans are off (i.e. 0) I'm not able to control them with iStat. But once the fans spin up I can then change the fan setting.

I think this might be something particular to the 2015s/ Broadwell (i.e. not necessarily a problem with iStat) but I'm not 100% sure.

Jmill79 instead of restarting your Mac try stressing the CPU and see if iStat starts reporting the fan speed.

7. stokyo macrumors newbie

pretty sure this is a new feature with broadwell to help save battery life. mine is also at 0 rpm until the temps rise. the new MacBook doesn't even have fans so I'm sure the rmbp with broadwell is fine when the fans aren't spinning.