iStat reading different from Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danipower0204, Sep 15, 2009.

1. danipower0204 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Using SL. I installed iStat and it reports less "wired memory" being used than Activity Monitor.
    Right now iStat reports: 449MB wired, 515MB active, 364MB inactive and 2.45 GB free
    Activity Monitor reports: 706MB wired, 515 MB active, 364MB inactive and 2.45 GB free.

What's this all about?
    Also, our school macs are at a whopping 100MB wired, whereas I'm always above 500MB. How is this?
    Thanks!
    Dan

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would trust Activity Monitor. I want to say that iStat there is a delay from what is actually correct.

As for school Mac vs. your Mac. Remember that your school's Mac's are setup specifically by IT so it's most likely that it's only running things that are essential where as your computer is free to do whatever you want with it so you might have background processes or whatever running in the background and depending on computer, if you have a portable with a integrated GPU that is also taking up your RAM/memory. Your Mac's at school are probably Mac Pro's or Power Mac's that all have discrete graphics that have their own memory.

3. danipower0204 thread starter macrumors newbie