iStat Widget Problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macuser1232, Oct 9, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hey so I just recently noticed that under the Network column on the iStat widget it says "Ext: Unknown." It's supposed to display my router's IP. So apparently iStat says my external IP is unknown. I think it may have to do with me installing the Tor bundle for Mac. I have uninstalled Tor and tried reinstalling iStat and I'm still having the problem. Anyone know how to fix this? Please help!

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

simsaladimbamba

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I just noticed this same thing, and I haven't loaded any new applications recently, except for the 10.8.2 update...

I don't have Tor or any other special networking software loaded...

5. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hm. Did you ever notice it saying your router's IP before? Or is this the first time you have ever looked?

----------

I am almost positive that it has to do with Tor because just yesterday I was able to see my external IP. Now that it could possibly be Tor, I am worried because who knows what else may be messed up with my network settings... :(

6. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I take back what I said about me almost being positive that the problem was Tor. Right now I really want to know why it is displaying this and if anyone else is getting this message on their iStat Pro widget.

7. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

I do not have that problem in my iStatPro

8. aross99, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Yes, I have teen the IP there before. Now it just says "Unknown".

I did some digging around in the resources for this widget, and it looks like it is attempting to contact "http://whatismyip.islayer.com", which doesn't seem to be working as it should be.

I have the same problem with another Mac as well...

Not sure why this would be working for some people and not others...

9. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Ok yeah I noticed whatsmyip.islayer.com wasn't working. So I shouldn't be worried should I?

10. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I don't think it is anything to worry about. The widget depended on a service to show your IP address, and it is no longer running. It looks like they have discontinued support for the widget, so I doubt they will fix it.

I'm going to keep using it for as long as it continues to run...

12. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Really? Then how come I was able to see the IP like just a couple days ago?? Tomorrow I'm gonna go to a local fast food restaurant or store to see if it displays the IP or not.

13. sailmac macrumors 6502

sailmac

Same here. I've been using the iStat dashboard widget for years (one of the most compelling widgets in my dashboard). Periodically I check for an update but hope grows dim...

OP: FWIW, my external IP address is no longer showing either and I don't have Tor nor any other changes to point at. As posted above, it looks like the islayer site is changing or winding down. Nothing to be done about it on our side. Fortunately it is easy enough to get that tiny bit of info from elsewhere when needed.

14. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Yeah but now mine is just saying "Ext: Updating..." Is yours?

15. sailmac macrumors 6502

sailmac

Checked again just now and mine says "Unknown".

istat.png

16. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Yeah just drove by McDonalds to get the wifi and mine still says "Ext: Updating..." So yeah.

17. ed724, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

ed724 macrumors regular

You can fix it by editing core.js in the widget with an editor like Xcode. Insert a valid url for the external IP lookup. You need to edit "function getExtIP". I used http://whatismyip.akamai.com. Use right click "show contents" on the widget. Edit as shown below: (unload and reload the widget to effect the changes)

function getExtIP(){
    ipURL = 'http://whatismyip.akamai.com/?random='+new Date().getTime();

From the looks of the website bjango, the widget no longer exists and they no longer support an external IP lookup URL for the widget. As an alternative you can just type the line below from your terminal app.

curl whatismyip.akamai.com; echo

You can fix the processes updating in MtLion as well. See site below.

http://spiegelland.com/artikel/istat-pro-prozesse-fixen-fuer-mountain-lion/

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can still download iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

This post includes fixes for the iStat Pro widget, for displaying the external IP address and for displaying process information in ML.