IStumped: Another what to do thread-so skip it if you're a sensitive Sally about that

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Aug 9, 2011.

  1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #1
    I'm heavily considering contacting amazon to change my base 13" air order for a base or possibly upgraded 15".

    The issue with that is the resolution is just so low and I can't get upgrade there. So otoh I'm thinking of running with the $987 air until apple decides standard configuration should be the higher res or until a deal can be had on the higher res.

    Otoh I could replace my desktop with the 15 and save on clutter power and have the convenience of a full machine. I also already have a momentus xt (which substantially improved boot and app launch times on my old machine)and 8gb ram that will go in it.

    Freaking decisions decisions.

    Air - better screen res, weight, ssd zip, more comfortable, substantially faster thn my old machine
    Mbp - better screen quality, 8gb ram, more drive space, already own 2 backpacks and a sleeve for this size. even faster.

    Any thoughts anyone? I use cs5 and lightroom a lot, but it mostly runs fine with the base MBA. Though it pages a bit (not really noticeable in use). I'm also a consultant and photographer but I live where its all car. I use my computer rarely at a desk... Table, sofa, bed, not toilet

    I also have an iPad I can now share with my girlfriend. My desktop monitor is ok, not great. The machine I'm coming from is a 2007 Santa rosa mbp

    The air viewing angle bothers me a bit. The 15" standard screen resolution is like a billboard

    13" air and revisit a 'new mbp' later (at this discount, won't lose much)
    Get 15" and revisit new MacBook pro later (again, big discount)

    Ordering. High res 15 from apple is not going to happen, it has to be from amazon.
    Lifelong IT and Mac guy...can't decide..help! LOGIC, need it!
     
  2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    #2
    Go 15 MBP

    Much more flexible to change out components. Do it now.
     
  3. pjo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    #3
    if you want hi-res get it now.

    Apple tends to leave BTO options partly to test the reaction to different configurations. Are you willing to wait at least a year before the 'hi-res' becomes standard?

    If not that many people buy the hi-res they won't bother until all their portables are 'retina displays'. Not that many people ordered matte screens so now you have to get a hi-res machine to have it matte.

    You don't mention what desktop you have, but chances are it's more upgradable than any portable.
     
  4. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #4
    I'm willing to wait on the high res because for the price difference I could buy a nice 24" ips display that would spank it in accuracy and have more resolution.. which could mean a final stop at a desk before printing

    Yah, I'm running a very fast mackintosh.. however, it's not without issue completely. I can fix what's wrong here and there, but fundamentally I don't particularly like being constrained to a desk for more than an hour at home.

    Thanks for the input you two!
     

Share This Page